Contraption (Illustration Friday Prompt)

cog owl (copy)

This week’s topic is:

CONTRAPTION

All I could think about was an owl combined with a steam punk kind of design.

Pushing my boundaries every week joining this group and it helps me to stretch the illustration muscles. I hope every one is having a fantastic week.

Stay tuned for my writing groups prompt up next A Fly on a Wall coming soon.

This illustration came up so nice I added to it and may use it as my next header I like change how about you?

What would you like to see me draw next?

About Kath Unsworth

Everybody has a DREAM. Today is the first day of the rest of my writing life. Its a lonely world out there when you are learning the craft. This year I want to finish my first children's picture book.
This entry was posted in Illustration Friday and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to Contraption (Illustration Friday Prompt)

1. leamuse says:

Kath, I just love it! It is a darling and whimsical owl… :) xx

2. I like the new header, Kath! Love the bumble bee…he looks so curious. :)

3. Alisa Belzil says:

This is one of my favorites Kath! It is one of those sketches you look at, and it could mean anything. I do like the mix of animal and metal. I can see you are really pushing yourself, and the results are really impressive!

4. Beautiful work, Kath. It makes a lovely header.

5. What do you mean “all” you could think of? That’s really creative! Good job!

6. inkandpages says:

I followed your comment on my post to your blog. I love your joyous creativity. It’s so inspiring. I wish I lived in a country where there’s a feeling of community and continuity, which comes through some of your posts. It’s so lovely to dream about. I live in the US which is all about money and speed rather than community and sharing. When I get down, I’ll be back to your blog to lift my spirits.

• Welcome, Im happy to see you here, community is a unique thing as we can connect and create a community online too. Yes I do live in a small isolated world and the simple life works for us. I have travelled, I adore the states and have lived in big cities like London. I guess its about meeting like minded souls and connecting no matter how far we live apart. I am so thankful that in this age and time we can do that and in the end I always come back to the most minuscule moments in time and appreciate the smallest gifts in life…(my parents taught me that) look forward to connecting with you.

• Tana Bevan says:

Kath~So eloquently stated, “I am so thankful that in this age and time we can do that [connect with like minded souls no matter how far we live apart]” and “appreciate the smallest gifts in life.” Beautiful.

Your owl is a hoot! (Pun intended.) Clever how incorporated the cogs and wheels.

What is Illustration Friday you refer to?

7. A clockwork owl…I love it. Stretching yourself is good. You’ll be the better for it, Kath. :)

8. So cool, Kath! And whimsical to boot.

9. Love that. I’ve been reading Emma Jane Holloway’s steampunk series “The Baskerville Affair”–this would be a great illustration for it.

• Jacqui sounds interesting I will have to check it out…..almost finished illustration tips for you, will email you soon, hoping to have a sketch in three stages to show the process. Start that today.

10. Beyond cool. This spinning wheel things in the background – you copied it from Reed’s drawing the other day, didn’t you? I love steampunk. There is a coffee shop in Cape Town, ‘Truth”. The decor is steam punk. The coolest place ever. Use it as a new header. You can draw anything you like, it always fabulous. Maybe a sea scape with kids running on the beach and flying a kite?
    Pxx

• Thanks Patricia google and pinterest are an artists reference heaven I just googled cogs and it is amazing what comes up. Any reference material is at my fingertips, what an amazing world we live in. Hope your day is special xx

11. Love this, I have a bit of a weakness for owls, particularly at the moment and I adore the way this looks. How about foxes – they seem to have been cropping up all over the place for me at the moment!

• Andrea thanks I have a thing for owls too, my friend Alisa above in comments draws some very sweet fox pictures http://sweetafternoons.wordpress.com/2014/06/04/morning-pencil-sketching/ go check her gorgeous site out.
      Foxes are not our favourite on the farm. My son is mad at them due to seeing one take one of his chickens. My daughter feels sorry for them. We happened to see one close up in the grass the other day and it would have made a beautiful photo, they are stunning to look at but so hated in Australia for their thieving ways.

• They are sweet illustrations! That’s the difference I guess between me living in a town, where foxes are an unexpected delight and you living on a farm.

• Andrea I still think they are beautiful. I guess the poor fox cannot help stealing baby lambs, chickens or sick calves. Its not there fault is it? And as a child I was fascinated with the white foxes I saw in national geographic mags. The world is a beautiful and cruel place.

12. diannegray says:

I just love this, Kath. I realised a few moments ago that I’d been staring at it for about five minutes! Very captivating :D

• Thanks Dianne I am thinking I may do another smaller version and use it for my business cards. Taking the plunge and trying my luck as a freelance illustrator. May as well try and earn some money doing what I love. Hope you have a nice weekend.

13. I love your contraption owl! You’re so gifted.

• Dana thank you I am about to start a new online business as freelance illustrator all due to starting this blog and the beautiful comments I receive. Will be attempting that rainbow cake in july for my son. My daughter is very keen to make it.

14. A perfect contraption – an owl and a steampunk kind of thing. I recently googled the word steampunk – wondering what on earth this new writing novel genre could be. Good to be in the loop, so to speak.

Can I come to your side of the world for some drawing lessons? I envy your talent and love the owl. Great work!