Crazy Cat Girl I Love You/Illustration Friday

June 13, 2014 ILLUSTRATION FRIDAY

This week’s topic is:

Mask

mask (copy)

Artwork by Kath Unsworth

I instantly thought about my daughters cat mask, when I discovered the http://illustrationfriday.com topic was Mask.

When I asked her if I could borrow it, she put it on and said….

“You can draw me mum!”

I wanted a bit of dramatic shadow so I placed her near a lamp and I took some photo’s. She is as crazy about art as me and I love her whimsical ways. I also love how she pushes me to create. At the moment she gets up and brings her pencils to the breakfast table. Amongst the crunchy nut corn flakes and the spilt hot chocky, she creates art. I can see her work evolving due to her drawing every day. I am lucky I am surrounded by such a passionate creative family.

I enjoyed creating this abstract dark image, a small playful memory of a rainy afternoon that I spent with my girl chatting, laughing and drawing.

We talked about our favourite movies and the movie we had just seen Maleficent. We are both attracted to dark characters in stories, I have a feeling she will be a goth girl one day. Black on black being her favourite outfit and the fact she thought Maleficent was the coolest fairy ever! (Her outfits were mostly black). We really enjoyed watching that dark fairy tale with a twist. What ever my daughter chooses to do in life, I know there will never be a dull moment.

On a completely different note, When I was younger, I swore to my  family that if I did not get married, I would live in a house with ten cats. The bizarre old woman on the street who smells of whiskers cat food and talks to herself. I came close. (I do talk to myself).

I hope you enjoy the art I share here, I never know what will come next, it evolves with me as I live, laugh and learn.

Thanks for visiting, how do you relax and share fun times with the family? I will cherish the rainy day and my crazy cat masked daughter’s shenanigans till the end of time.

Everybody has a DREAM. Today is the first day of the rest of my writing life. Its a lonely world out there when you are learning the craft. This year I want to finish my first children's picture book.
This entry was posted in Illustration Friday and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to Crazy Cat Girl I Love You/Illustration Friday

1. leamuse says:

Kath, your daughter is so very fortunate to be living in such a loving and creative home. I love the mask and you know how I feel about the cats… :) xx

2. Such lovely memories you’re making :-) Youngest is between undergrad and leaving for more study in the US so we’ve spent some days together wandering art galleries, and that is fun too :-)

3. What a wonderful way to spend a rainy day, Kath. I love the finished piece!

4. You are so lucky to have a creative, art-loving family, and your children are lucky to have the two of you as parents. Keep the artwork coming, Kath, it’s gorgeous. :)

5. I love the illustration and the backstory! You and your daughter have a special bond, loving and creative.
    -Dana

6. You mean, no TV? No vacation to Disneyland? You sat and chatted and drew together and had fun? We need to get the word out to the rest of the world.

I say this tonge-in-cheeck because so many of my friends think ‘spending money’ is required to ‘have fun’. I don’t, and my kids don’t. And it seems based on your story, it works just fine.

7. Jacqui you would be surprised to know we actually don’t watch much tv, we sit and read together and we might choose a series to buy as a box set and watch it together but at the moment she is wanting to draw and I am all up for that. PS would still love to take my kids to Disneyland or Harry Potter world one day…

• Tana Bevan says:

Adults felt sorry for my daughter. After all, she was growing up in a home with no television. Horrors! What did she do with herself? The irony being, her friends didn’t ask that question. They’d come over and immediately head to the stand-alone armoire filled with costumes, often ending the visit with live theater or a musical number. To the two metal lockers outside filled to the brim with recycleables and fodder for art, to the tree in the front yard to climb, to the shelves of books throughout the house, to the kitchen to bake (many of her friends had never baked “from scratch”). Never heard a word of complaint or an “I’m bored” from a single one of those kidlings.

• Sounds perfect to me Tana a world where the kids get to use their imaginations and learn new skills. We are heading to my mothers this weekend and my daughter has already packed her art supplies bless her.

8. diannegray says:

If I wasn’t allergic to cats I’m sure I’d be a crazy cat lady (I really like the cute little critters!). The most fun my kids had when they were young was when we’d have a blackout (and there were many on the farm). We’d sit around by candlelight and tells stories. It was fantastic and even though they’re grown now, they still talk about how magical it was ;)

• Dianne it is funny how they love such nights, we had a three day blackout once, we stocked up on glow sticks and candles that had a scent which smelled like chocolate of all things. They were only little but still remember that being so much fun. My father loved to make a home made damper around a camp fire and tell us stories too. Precious memories indeed.

9. How lovely to be immersed in all this creativiry, and your cat mask is an absolute delight. Apart from my poetey my creative skills are being directed back into Playdough with grandchildren! 😄

I think humans in general are attracted to dark characters, especially children. My favorite villain as a child was Darth Vader in Star Wars and the characters that I found the most interesting in films and books were always the bad guys. You’re lucky you and your daughter share the same passion. And it seems like you’re both encouraging each other to be (more) creative! That’s lovely :)
    G

• Gustavo, me too if the villain did not have enough depth I did not read on. I think my daughter kicking my butt and asking why I have not completed an illustration when she gets home from school is working for me at the moment.

11. A rainy afternoon spent drawing an exquisite memory…it doesn’t get any better than that, Kath. Love the image. :)

12. I love that both you and your daughter will have these memories immersed in creativity.

13. Diana Zipeto says:

I love your mask piece, the roughness and texture is energetic and rich, the dark and light sides also tell an intriguing story. I am inspired by both you and your daughter. And drawing at the breakfast table!!

14. Love your art work Kath. Meeting Willow is on my bucket list. Spending time with my son that is what I’d like most. If I’m lucky once a year.But James said if all goes well my mom and I may visit Peter in November after his season ended. It will be great to spent time together – just the three of us. We’ve never done that. My mom doesn’t know how Peter lives his life or I mine. Although we won’t get to sail Mojito. She’ll be hauled.
    Willow will want to dye her hair black too, remember. Helen made noises about that just before the accident…J wasn’t impressed.
    Love and hugs,
    Pxx

• Patricia you are larger than life in her eyes and she follows your world with great interest her own private Pippy Longstocking. Enjoy the family moments as I know as they grow it gets shorter, oh by the way she wants purple hair.

15. I really love that mask – it does have a beautiful dark quality to it, and the creative connection the two of you have is priceless! I’m also interested that you went to see Maleficent, and glad to hear you both enjoyed it. My experience wasn’t so positive (as you might guess from this week’s rant). But I do tend to expect too much from movies. :)

• I do too Alarna but I was looking at it through my daughters eyes lol

• PS I loved your take on it, I left my inner critic at home for this one because it is a rare thing that we get to go to the movies at night, as it is too far away. We just for once decided it was beautiful and dark to look at, like a piece of artwork, because my daughter Willow is a tough customer to please (Reading hunger games at the moment) and loving it.

The offspring of creative people has always intrigued me. It sounds like you have a lovely relationship with your daughter, and quite frankly I think her company is much better than ten cats would be. How nice that you can inspire each other.

17. I really like your mask artwork. The way you were inspired to create it makes it all the more beautiful.
    Moments with our children are the memories we will have forever once they’ve flown away to create their own life. Very special moments you both enjoyed …. !!!!!