Grab Hold of the Moments

sand timepdf-1Grab hold of the Moments

I watch my son play on the beach, he scoops up the sand and slowly releases it. For him the ocean is his paradise a place he can unwind, somewhere to hide from his Autism. Somewhere to escape the noise and chaos of a day at school. No other place has the same calming effect. He jumps up, shaking the sand out of his hair. The persistent seagulls squabble and fight for bread crumbs sending him into fits of giggling.

My daughter with stick in hand, draws pictures in the wet sand. I listen to the lazy lap of the waves. Close my eyes, breath deep and wrinkle my nose at the stale smell of dried seaweed sitting at my feet. There is nothing like an evening on the beach, usually the wind and waves are thunderous. Tonight a gentle breeze and a calm sea. When my eyes reach the sky I am lost in a pastel haze. A feeling of serenity washes over me and I know I have to savour the moments.

My children run along the water’s edge digging their toes in and watch the water curl around their ankles. Our summer has flown. We play hide and seek behind the giant boulders, climbing in between the rocks looking for crabs and sea stars, our weekend autumn escape. We look forward to our visits to Nan’s place.

For me the ocean brings ideas for stories. I ponder on my time management. It is fair to say I would write all day, if I was able. Yet life gets in the way. The thing about life, is it never goes the way you think it will. Time bandits visit my house daily. Pinching minutes, even the stuff I stash away in the draws to use in an emergency. My children call out, breaking my thoughts, they know when I am not listening, when I am not present in their world.

“Mum it is time to go, look there are other people coming.” My daughter points to a family walking towards us. My son runs to the beach bag and drags out a pair of earmuffs, putting them on. Our peaceful hiding place uncovered, as Autism finds us once more.

“It is ok, there are no screaming babies.”

“Mum I want to go now!” I try to persuade him, but he only becomes anxious, we have danced this routine over and over, some days he can tolerate screaming, most days he cannot. You would be amazed at how many people scream when your child is sensitive to it.

“Mum let’s go.” He is off before I can argue. More afraid of what noise might happen then what we actually hear. Yet for us the little moments are all we have.

Balancing the Moments

Our family does things differently than most. My journey bumps along the highway of life and I hold tight to the image of the beach, the simple pleasures. Trying to find a balance between my writing and my family is a constant challenge.  I have found a method in the mix, I write when I can. Family comes first, most of the time.

The other morning I woke at 4.30am with a brilliant idea for a short story. Moments like these are golden. I never miss that kind of opportunity. My mind is alert and eager to write even though I will pay dearly when the day comes to a close. I know there are days when I wonder why I have this burning need to write. Yet I also know, it is awesome to show the kids I am a positive force. I often tell them that it is never too late to follow their dreams.

We all have our challenges, they make us stronger. We are all here to learn and if we are not learning what is the point? The wonderful thing is when my children see me working madly on my keyboard, they show me what they are working on. Oh what a beautiful place, watching them shine with bright ideas.

I give thanks everyday for a new sunrise and stay the optimist. Life is good and I will write on, laugh lots and enjoy my passion, it is what keeps me sane. Tell me what keeps you going, when life gets in the way? Have you found that perfect balance between your passion and the busy highway of life?

Our Paradise

DSCN1442DSCN1439

Image | This entry was posted in moments in time and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Grab Hold of the Moments

1. A very inspiring post with beautiful images. “When my eyes reach the sky I am lost in a pastel haze.” made me feel as if I was there. Finding balance? I’m still searching, but I try to seize the great moments and sweep the icky ones under the rug. 🙂

2. Audrey Chin says:

Beautiful words and wonderful images Kath. I particularly like the header. You will find the time because you so want to. I’ve found just tapping little sentences into the “notepad” on my phone will help. Then, when I have insomnia, instead of fretting about it, I just go out into the study, turn on the computer and get on with it till sleep catches up again.

3. mmpearson says:

Nice post, really some good imagery. And yes, you are right with a family it is very difficult, but everyone has their challenges I am sure. Family is first in my life too, then if there are scraps of time then I write (or clean the house, while thinking about writing!). I find it hard to blog with the time that is left over, mostly I’ve just been writing, reading about writing and taking some online courses. My blog is going to take the backseat for a little while I think. And previous poster is right, I like to write little ideas on my phone while I am out and about with the kids.

4. One More day says:

Thanks M for lovely words, I still read books on writing everyday, looking forward to your next post….. out and about with the kids sounds like a blog post to me heheh. Keep writing

5. Hi again, Kath. Loved your post. I feel like I got to know you much better. x

• One More day says:

Thanks Jennifer appreciate you reading it, sometimes its hard to know what to share, but I am sure my children won’t mind me using them for a bit of creative outlet.

6. ravenspen says:

wow that really is a paradise your photos are really good. and your article was soothing I really needed that, where I live we are due for another six inches of snow. So thanks for the brief moment in the sun on the beach.

7. That is awesome that you inspire your children, Kath. The fact that they feel the desire to show you their own creations after seeing you work so hard is a great sign that you’re doing things right. They want to impress you, they want to show you that they are hard workers just like you. Sure, it may be natural for children to want to impress their parents, but this is something different. This is you INSPIRING them, much different from a simple boost of the ego that they seek for temporal feelings.

8. I read this with two distinct thoughts, no three. One, I find the beach very healing. Two, my son has Aspergers, and three… Balance. I can’t think of much else to say about balance, except that for me it takes some skill, some luck, much faith. And like you, when the moment strikes to write, I take it, then pay the price later in the day.

But it’s just one long day, here and there, like beach excursions occur here and there, as when Aspergers pokes its long nose, leaving a soft bruise. Bruises heal, sleep is recovered, and another day arrives to try it all again. That’s how I keep going, and so far, so good.

9. One More day says:

Thanks Anna we sound like we have a lot in common and I know living with my sons diffabilty, because he is just different, it helps me think outside the square for sure. I will keep plodding along.

10. andy1076 says:

Beautiful pictures and I very much agree with everything you said 🙂

11. This st r u gg le is the question I live everyday, Kath, and that I have written about. So I understand perfectly, and am glad your precious stories see light of day – even if it has to be in the wee hrs of dark.

Xx
    Diana

your pictures took me back to my vacation in Goa. I’ve fallen in love with beaches now :p its inspiring to read about how you manage to stay afloat when life is trying to drag you down. BALANCE is the word of the article. You’re doing very well, giving justice to a burning passion, and also family commitments, even though SLEEP is often the first casualty.