Life on the High Seas

My Guest this month is Patricia Storbeck.Me

If you thought my last post was a great escape, wait until you read about a real escape.

I met Patricia through the Jeff Goins tribewriter’s online course. She is writing a life story from her beautiful boat and the blog  Mojito and Me.  http://mojitoandme.com/

Please take a visit to her site and see for yourself, it is an interesting, if not brave and exciting life she and her husband are experiencing. Never dull, as you will see from her spectacular photo’s and she writes with the heart of a poet and the courage of an adventurer.

Like myself Patricia has a dream to write and write something worth reading. I enjoy reading about where she is on any given day and I escape the mundane domestics of my own daily existence by going for a sail out there on the ocean, of which she calls home.

ENJOY

boat

LIFE on the HIGH SEAS

Many people ask me what it’s really like living on a boat, thinking we are on holidays all year round. Our life is not much different from the life we had on land, it’s our lifestyle that is different. In some ways its easier, in others, much harder.

A HARD LIFE

Living on a boat is not always romantic, as glossy magazines make you believe. It’s a hard life, at the mercy from the elements; storms, heat, cold, wind and even pirates in certain parts of the world. Life on a boat involves little sleep, small living spaces, much crawling around the bilges, where stuff is packed like groceries, equipment, spare parts, clothes we don’t often use, you name it. I have bumped my head so many times it’s a wonder I have any brain cells left. Once I slipped on ice, fell overboard and broke two fingers in the process. I am a plumber, electrician, mechanic, handyman, etc. I had to learn all these things from manuals. Living on a boat made us self-sufficient in many ways. Although it is a hard life, I will not change it for anything.

beach

A GOOD LIFE

In spite of these hardships, I love living on the boat. We can go anywhere we please, weather permitting, of course. Our life is uncluttered and less complicated as it would have been on land. We stroll along deserted beaches, leaving only footprints in the sand. Dive in clear water, collect delicate shells and sand dollars. We eat picnic lunches under palm trees. Make bonfires from driftwood, watch the sun go down. Sit for hours under a sky packed white with stars. Stringing up a hammock between palms and read the day away. Cook freshly caught fish on the grill. Feed tidbits of left over fish to stingrays that  swim right up to us, to nibble from our fingers. Life is definitely worth living.

island

SAYING GOODBYE

Some places we pass through and in others we stay longer. Saddest is leaving good friends behind. Although we keep in contact by way of social media, we miss not being able to chat with dear friends over a cup of coffee. Strange as it may seem, no matter where we have been these past few years, there comes a time to move on. We are reminded there are new places to be seen, new experiences to be had, new people to meet. Something new around every corner.

dolphins

WHY I LOVE THIS LIFE

I love the freedom of our life onboard our boat. The ocean nourishes my soul. It is never quiet, it tells me stories, whispers to me its secrets. Dolphins come to play on our bow as we sail. I am living life on my terms and breaking a few rules in the process. My favorite pass times is reading, writing, making ice cream, day dreaming, having conversations with my boat and with God. I enjoy my life. I am happy.

sunset

C’est la vie

Owning a boat has allowed us to travel. Life at sea is never dull, filled with hard work, sad moments, exhilarating moments, adventure and new experiences. I believe that one day we will arrive in paradise, and decide to stay. Until then, we will wander.

C’est la vie.

By Patricia Storbeck, Mojito and Me

Dancing on the waves of life as I sail along the edge of heaven. Sharing bits of wisdom and art through words and my photography.

Thank you Patricia my new friend for sharing your world with me, please leave a comment if you enjoyed this post or visit Patricia’s site you won’t be disappointed.

This entry was posted in Guest blogger and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

43 Responses to Life on the High Seas

1. Hi Kath, thank you for posting the piece. I want to let go of the mooring lines and sail. Open Mojito’s sails and see where she takes us. We have this beautiful day, the sea a deep midnight blue, the air fragrant with the smell of roses, honeysuckle, jasmine and lavender. Summer, at last. Fondest love, Patricia

2. I absolutely loved the visit with Patricia. I love her adventurous life and her generosity to share it with us landlovers. The pictures were breathtaking, and the words equaled the pictures. Great post, great visit. Great job.

Loved the post. Hey Kath, how do people get images that are just on white backgrounds like the picture of Patricia?

Anne

• You can get a designer to photoshop a pic, they just make a clipping path and invert it so that only the figure is saved then use whatever back ground you want. Although if you ask Patricia she may have done it different?

• annepeterson says:

Kath,
        Thanks for answering. She told me to send the pic I wanted and she could put a background of white on it. Is this how they do a lot of the book covers we see. Bryan’s butterfly, Jeff’s turtle. I just wondered if it was a tedious thing where you have to manually outline it.

• Depends where what condition the image is in. The better the image the easier to clip it with a clipping path. The costs involved with graphic design can grow when you dont have a good idea of what you want and you keep changing your mind, they charge by the hour and on top of that the design concept if you dont already have one.

• annepeterson says:

I’ll know by the time I am ready for a cover. I may even attempt another one, but I sure do like the covers that are mostly white. Thanks for explaining all the money part. Last time a triber made my cover for Real Love, and the photo was taken by my daughter.

• Hi, Anne. My niece did that for me. If you want, sent me the picture you want done with a white background. I will ask her to do it for you.
      I am glad you enjoyed the piece. Thank you for reading it.
      Patricia

• annepeterson says:

Patricia,

I was just thinking ahead for my next cover and I like the crispness of it. I had wondered if it was a tedious manual thing that you had to outline with the mouse. Thanks for your offer though.

4. So wonderful to live this vicariously through you Patricia, I look forward to reading more of your adventures and the photos are gorgeous.

5. mrsgillies says:

What an inspiring life!

6. Pingback: Life on the High Seas | Along the Edge of Heaven

7. Thank you, Patricia and Kath. Stunning images and a thrilling path to paradise.

8. Julie-Anne says:

Wow. Patricia, I often think of you on your boat when I am overwhelmed and I picture the ocean and how perfect it must be. But, it’s good that you bring us back to reality. Sailing sounds like it has its joys and challenges, much like any life. Still, you’ve piqued my curiosity about sailing and the ocean, which I’ve never seen. Perhaps someday I will have to go and see it.

Kath, so great to see Patricia’s writing here. You are a generous soul. Glad to have connected with you on TW.

• Julie-Anne I do the same, I think about where she is and how her day must be, out there on that unpredictable sea. I have learnt so much in the last couple of months just by connecting with others from the tribe it really is re-shaping my world. Thank you for the kind words.

9. Steve Pare says:

Wow. How beautiful. I used to dream of sailing the world in a boat until I got sick deep sea fishing. Now I think I might not be able to handle it. I still love to dream about it thought. Thanks for the inspiration.

10. Joan says:

Kath, I enjoyed reading this post and getting to know more about Patricia. The photos are amazing. Heading over to Patricia’s blog to read more about her adventurous life.

11. Patricia and Kath, I loved reading this! Thank you for sharing!! Awesome to see the two of you together!! Blessings to you both!! Brenda

12. flyfishtroy says:

Enjoyed the post. Thank you for sharing what a life at sea is about. Wow I can smell the sea air now.

13. flyfishtroy says:

Great post Patricia. Thank you for sharing. I’m so glad your living a life that you want. Have a wonderful day.
    Your tribe friend,
    Troy

14. Lotta Wanner says:

Thank you Patricia for this wonderful explanation of your life! You make me remember a time when I lived om a sailboat! I am happy Kath made me read your story, now I can follow your blog!

15. This is such an appealing guest post. Even though I live next to the sea, to actually live on a boat would be an entirely different experience.

16. Kath,
    Thank you for the honor of writing a guest post. I have finished a little eBook in the form of a slide show filled with photographs like these. The images seems to have struck a cord. I will sent you the link as soon as it is uploaded. Sent me a picture of you and the kids eating your ice-cream, please.

• Patricia Willow was thrilled that you liked her bird and said you can use it on your facebook page see attached also a pic of the kids eating discusting jade green icecream that sent my son crazy. Today they just had caramel flavour and I had a lovely coffee with my Mum. Look forward to the ebookCheers Kath Ps working on a piece for you, hope to have it ready by this week sometime and you can post at your leisure.

> Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 07:50:11 +0000 > To: k.a.unsworth@hotmail.com >

17. Wonderful post. What a life!

Beautiful photos and writing! I share her love of the ocean and will have to check out her blog. Thank you for the introduction!

• Sheila she is an amazing woman and you will love her place, if you love the ocean Patricia is in France at the moment and would love you to stop by and say hello thanks for the support and comments.

19. I enjoyed reading this story of Patricia’s life on the water. It is a much harder life than I imagined.

• Hi Pamela she really has an amazing life and I love keeping up with each city Patricia visits, it is an education and has puts a dream like quality in my country existence. Thank you for stopping by I appreciate it very much.