The End is just The Beginning

book cover2-1I am happy to say I finished NaNoWriMo on day 21. For me the end of NaNoWriMo is just the beginning of something wonderful. I have my draft of The Whitby Files and I like where Wilson Whitby took me, on a journey of discovery, one with mystery and murder yet the story is also about friendships found in the most unexpected places. Now I get to shape him into something people would want to read. I will stay with the routine, which I will share when I have the energy to write it, the one I used for Nano, keeping up that momentum and editing every day will hopefully bring me to the finish line of writing a novel.

I am looking forward to the research, the scene setting and editing my story. The surprise for me was how easy I found the novel-writing challenge. How much I enjoyed writing everyday, (I never missed one) I am truly ready for this and will continue to work on my illustrations for Sugar Goes to the Fair as a break from writing.

So here it is…..

The Whitby Files

Wilson Whitby is a fourteen year old kid. The product of a wild imagination and having a detective for a father, he keeps files on his family and the general population. A habit that leads him into a world of danger. When his father goes missing at sea, Wilson moves inย with his demented Aunt in an old folks home. Life is wretchedly dull until Wilson starts a new file on the occupants of Misty Bay Retirement Village and discovers secrets and murder most foul. Who can he trust? When he suspects his Uncle is the person poisoning the residents and responsible for the disappearance of his father.

My dreams are becoming more than just dreams how about you?

This entry was posted in N is for NEVER give up., Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

48 Responses to The End is just The Beginning

1. LadyBlueRose's Thoughts Into Words says:

Congratulations!…I admire your dedication as well as the drive to accomplish
    your goal….
    ( and a bit envious as i procrastinated one more time by letting life get in the way,
    or perhaps thats an excuse too, for I am just not sure how to start )
    anyway! I wish you continued success on your dream!
    Take Care…You Matter…
    )0(
    maryrose

• Thank you Maryrose I think the best thing is I can apply the routine of nano and use in in my daily writing. Maybe next year for you I would do it again in a pinch, maybe not this month, but when I need my next story draft done.

2. Well done. I like the ‘sound’ of how things are going ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Lotta Wanner says:

This sounds so exciting Kath! So happy for you! Can’t wait to read it!!! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

4. Audrey Chin says:

I already like the trailer. it’s crisp and catchy;)

5. This is wonderful.. I am so proud of you!

• Hey Susan good to see you, I have had my head down and have not checked in on a lot of my writing buddy’s like you. Hope everything is going well with the singing mice. Thanks for dropping in.

6. Congratulations! Wow, and nine days early. Now you know what you’re capable of accomplishing and that may be the greatest gift that November brings you. At the same time, it sounds as though you’ve created an original and exciting tale. For the last two years I’ve worked in an assisted living facility so I smiled wide while reading your description. A great many cherished memories and faces leaped into my mind at that moment.

• Christina for some reason I always feel blessed around the older generation, so much experience of life to share, I want some of my elderly characters to shine. Be cool role models for the kid in my story, it is so much fun creating life into a story and building strong likeable hero’s with some flaws.

7. Can’t wait to read the Whitby Files, Kath. Did you validate your word count yet. Copy and paste to validate. Our ML said that the site sometimes add or subtract word count. So test it, but before you do add at least 200 words over the 50 000. to make sure you are a winner. Do not wait for the 30th to validate, the site sometimes crash.

• Patricia Thanks for the tip, I did validate but there were no whistles or bells at the finish line ….maybe something we can suggest to the organisers lol A giant buzzer goes off when you finish.

So exciting Kath. Glad you were able to accomplish the goal you set out for. Proud of you and I’m looking forward to reading what you are making ready for the world.

• Anne thank you it is people like you and Audrey who inspire me and I have your book next in line to read, now that I have a little more free time, although now the work begins and I will need talented souls like you to give me honest feedback. Thank you Anne you inspire so many.

That sounds like such a fun book – no wonder you were inspired! Did you have an idea for the entire novel in your head before writing it or did it all come flowing out in unexpected ways? I’ll be curious to hear how you did it! I hope you did a special Rocky dance on top of that mountain!

• Hey Sheila thanks for the tweet you are awesome. I have had the idea burning in my head for years, just subtle images like in a movie, two ideas came together in the one book and I think it was Stephen King who said if it is a good idea it will stay with you. I have been learning the craft now for a good ten years, online courses, reading other writers secrets. I am ready to go that extra mile now and finish. Thanks for dropping in and yes I did the dance at the top of the hill with a million flies to watch and my daughter worrying about my sanity lol. I will share my ten tips on winning Nano routine soon and will use it to keep going on the next level of edits.

10. The book sounds wonderful, Kath–and what a haunting question: Who can you trust if you can’t trust your family. Me, I’d be lost.

• I agree Jacqui I have an amazing family and growing up I was appalled when people told me they hated their siblings I have since realised a clash of personalities can be very damaging, I wanted my villain to be dysfunctional, there is always a reason why people do what they do and many families have a black sheep in their midst I wanted to touch on the choices humans make when backed into a corner. Would you become somebody else if your life depended on it? I guess I would not know until it happened to me……

11. A big pat on the back for you! That is amazing, you finishing your first draft in 21 days, you are obviously a true blue writer who loves her craft. And your story sounds intriguing. Bravo.

12. suzjones says:

Good luck with your story. It’s a great premise. ๐Ÿ™‚
    I’ve nominated you for an award ๐Ÿ™‚

13. snappychat says:

HI Kath, You have been nominated for the Semper Fidelis Award. Go to http:http://sjri.wordpress.com/ for details.

oh my, this sounds really interesting. What a great idea for a book. I can’t wait to read it. G

15. Gustavo enjoying the edits and hopefully one day it will be good enough to share with the world. Thanks for stopping by. Almost winter for you?

16. mrsgillies says:

I wonder where you got that name from ๐Ÿ˜‰

17. Thanks for letting me camp out in your blog for a little while today. I had a great time and tried to leave my campsite as good as when I arrived. Iโ€™ll be back!

The background, and description have me hooked! Sounds like a lovely story ๐Ÿ™‚