Doggone! Who Wants to Be Fifty

10612913_325640500934443_7776298117939876112_n

Sandy our Work Dog by Peter Unsworth

It is without effort I am ageing.

I do not have to lift a finger. The mirror cannot hide another crease emerging, amidst a plethora of cracks and burrows. Crows feet, ugh, who needs them? I ask you, who wants to turn fifty?

I have to smile and say I like my wrinkles, its cool AT MY AGE to love my wrinkles. My age by the way is a milestone, some say. I will be fifty in October. My son told me my life is half over. I am glad he thinks I will make it to a hundred. Maybe by then they will have a perfect remedy to slap on those wrinkles.

I’m like every other human who is ageing. I have to ask the obvious question? Where did time go? I remember looking at forty-something women. I would smile and think I had plenty of time before gravity caught up with me. I was far too confident that I would never, ever look old and crabby. Life is cruel isn’t it? I’m crabby alright, due to the onset of menopause but I will spare you those details.

I wish I could milk the excess energy from my children and sell it to every middle-aged mum who feels like me.

I would age gracefully. I told myself as youngster. I would have no children, I promised those around me. Children make you old, I had heard from some unreliable source. I actually know children keep you young. But they do suck the marrow from your bones so to speak, hence the onset of osteoporosis. Hopefully I will skip that condition. Although the aching joints could be a sign of arthritis, oh the joys.

I want to wake in the morning full of energy. I want act like I am a kid again without complaining about aching body parts. I wish I could do all the things my children do and not feel washed up afterwards. I try to and that’s the main thing.

I guess I should be thankful that my life is not calculated in dog years, Poor Sandy (above) is catching up fast.

I guess I should be thankful for how old I am this year. I will celebrate with friends and family and a good bottle of bubbly. I am still here, wrinkled and worn but I can laugh about how silly life is. We live the best way we know how and that’s worth raising my glass to. Here’s to another year and many more to come. I want to reach fifty and sixty and onwards. After all, I still have another fifty years to look forward too. As more and more humans hit the one hundred mark my son just might be right.

me

This entry was posted in Inspiration. Bookmark the permalink.

92 Responses to Doggone! Who Wants to Be Fifty

1. Oh that excess energy in kids. That’s probably what I notice the most (although wrinkles are clamoring for my attention). Often I find myself noting other’s energy. I’d like to hone my own, something to work on, I suppose. Interestingly, I also am drawn to the calm, noting, admiring, when others keep their cool.
    There’s a certain calm in this post–love that. 🙂

• Coleen I guess I am pretty calm about fifty, I think way too far ahead, always have, so I have already processed and accepted I am going to hit the fifty mark soon. Bring it on. On the energy thing I need to get moving too, the more I walk and do my weights the more energy I get. Good luck mine fluctuates depending on my time management issues.

2. You are gorgeous and oh, so talented. Can you be my hero? Pretty please?

3. 50 is cool, because you are not 60.
    I am having a hard time convincing myself that 60 is cool.
    Don’t know how this happened….I could swear that I was 18 just the other day.

4. Tana Bevan says:

Kath, The fun part of aging is you find yourself carrying less and less about what others think. (After all, so few actually do. lol) There’s a freedom that comes with being comfortable with imperfection, comfortable with gravity, and comfortable with morality. The aches and pains … well, there an awful lot of youngins’ out there with an awful lot of them. They just don’t focus on them, nor are they expected to. Seems that’s reserved for the “elders.” Bottom line, you’re still alive and kicking, this is a good. You still have your mind (or a portion of it :-)) that’s even a better. If you’ve got quality of life, those to love and those you love you, I’d say that’s a FABULOUS. Plus you take fun photos, draw marvelously, are writing a book and find inspiration in the minuscule moments! Pretty darn good for an “old bitty.” (*Cheshire Cat smile!)

In case I forget to mention this in October, have a very wonderful & special birthday!

• Tana I love your take on the old biddy and yes I do care less about what people think. But I also care more about who I want to be when I grow up. Still haven’t quite got there yet but am very happy doing what I was born to do. Happy doodling days to you friend.

5. diannegray says:

You look absolutely gorgeous and age is just a number. I love aging and it’s because I had two friends who died of breast cancer in their 20s. They both had young children and said to me that they would do anything to stay alive so they could watch them grow. Now every birthday I think of them and celebrate my age because I’m still here. I hit 50 a few years ago and am looking forward to 60 and I really want to hit 70 and 80 and 90! Enjoy every moment, Kath 😀

6. You look great. I am not looking forward to my 50 which is not too far in the future. 😀
    My mother-in-law is 97 and has not been in good health recently.

7. Happiest of Birthdays to you! By the way, you are so beautiful and you don’t look 50 at all! And anyways, don’t they say that 50 is the next 40 so you’re now only 39! 🙂 Giggle giggle…Enjoy every special moment…you reminded me of my favorite quote:
    “Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming “WOO HOO what a ride!”
    Big hugs to you! ♥ May your every wish come true!

8. Hi Kath–well you are looking absolutely fantastic! All the best as you gear up for the big 50!
    I can relate to a lot of what you wrote and can also say that things are just fine on the other side 😉

9. Kath, I love your picture. You look great! I’m three years ahead of you, so I can relate to the aches, pains and energy crisis. But we fifty-somethings know how to work smarter and not worry about the little things as much. I’m loving the wisdom that has accumulated with my silver crown. Welcome to the second half of life–the better half in so many ways.

Blessings ~ Wendy ❀

10. You are an INSPIRATION to me – Keep It Real Sweetie 😉 Thanks for the motivation too – Happy Day!

11. “I guess I should be thankful that my life is not calculated in dog years” LOL
    A brilliant, funny Afr-American friend once said that in her family they said, “You either have a birthday or you don’t.”

You look beautiful, Kath.

Diana

12. Bonnie says:

I am not far behind you! Thank you for stopping by my corner of blog world today – always nice to see a new face!

13. Time flies, doesn’t it? My mom warned me about this when I was younger–that I would look up one day and wonder where the time went. I didn’t believe her. I’ll be 60 in October and I’m trying to be ok with it. I look in the mirror and think “Who ARE you?” Whenever I complain about how old I am, my mom says, “It’s better than the alternative” 🙂

• Catherine thanks for the follow I appreciate you reading my ramblings. Time whips by so fast and my mum who is eighty now says she does not feel like an eighty year old and that I should enjoy every moment, before my body starts to, not do what I want it to do anymore. Hope your writing is going well?

14. Luanne says:

Kath, you look gorgeous! I wish I were 50 again. Or maybe 40 haha.

15. If I looked as fab as you do at 50 (I’m older), then I wouldn’t be crabby at all. 😉 I tell folks that as long as we’re looking at this side of the grass then it’s all good. Hope you have a wonderful birthday, Kath.

16. becca givens says:

Your radiating beauty will only get better and better with age. You have that inner glow!
    Namaste ~~

17. The Sun Lady says:

Thanks for the beautiful, and good-humored thoughts. I’m rereading this post, and having fun reading it with Husband, who’s younger than me, and se we have our serious and funny aging conversations from time to time. I’m an October birthday also, I’ll be 39 this year. Having noticed throughout my life the hesitation and melancholy people at times have over turning 40–which has brought even more contemplation out in myself as well–I’ve made a promise to myself to set forth on a big goal and start seeing the dream become a reality by my fortieth to start a new phase of the aging cycle with new and positive addition to life. For me it’s finally getting licensed for counseling, certified in meditation techniques, and bringing my own business into being. It keeps me feeling full of energy and positivity, my soul ageless even as I begin to see the traces of age that will continue to change my physical structure. I just want to smile as much as possible through the days, how ever many there may be for me. 🙂 For this year’s upcoming birthday, I’m going to celebrate by getting the nose diamond piercing my daughter has been wanting me to get with her; I figured 39 is also a good time to try something new!

I will check back periodically to see how your children’s books are coming along. I’m in process of writing a children’s book too, I love the worlds you can be taken to in children’s stories. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and amazing artwork. Also, you don’t look like you have 50 years on you, you surely have an inner and outer glow. Good luck with your writing in all its forms.

18. Aging gives us wisdom. It’s the reason why I’m enjoying every year that arrives. The mistakes we made when younger are fewer. Hopefully, we make better decisions too. Our attitude is what keeps us young at heart. The outer cabe change but the inner continues to dream.
    Your art will never fade no matter what age you are. It is a part of the creative being you have lived. Namaste
    Good health and lots of love on your birthday and forever. Happy Birthday !!!! 🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹

You look fabulous! (is it appropriate to say that?) I’m 26 and already wondering where time has gone! What I find amazing is that you’ve managed to stay young on the inside, and that’s something I hope to achieve myself (difficult considering I’m already thinking like a 60 yr old complaining-about-life gramps). You’ve aged gracefully, and if you have the slightest doubt, I invite you to my corner of the world for a look yourself. Hope you have a healthy, happy life and live to be beyond a 100