A Paper Trail of Feathers

wedding present (copy)

Not Much to say here this week but I always have a sketch to share.

I know, I know the birds keep coming. I have a paper trail of fine-feathered friends lately on my blog space. I do not plan what I draw, it’s a pretty random thing. But birds seem to be my calling card at the moment.

The illustrator Friday word for the week was Paper.  This little creation is part of my gift for my sister’s wedding. The last in the family to get married. I have waited, all year for this one day.

When our family gathers it is a crazy kind of wonderful, all at the same time. I never feel like I actually spend quality time with anybody, due to the amount of siblings I have.

They are like a flock of birds all chirping at the same time, in the one tree. As my father use to say, don’t all speak at once. What else could he say to nine chatty kids. These gatherings are a rare treat, as we find ourselves scattered across the countryside.

I will savour every laugh and big bear hug, every humorous story, every child’s giggle and most of all every moment spent with my loved ones, especially witnessing my baby sis getting married. (Yes I will cry tears of joy. As I age, I seem to do this more often, don’t ask me why?)

I hope your week ahead is full of love and light. I hope this bird makes you feel happiness. Maybe next week no more birds, maybe not.

This entry was posted in Illustration Friday and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

85 Responses to A Paper Trail of Feathers

1. Laura says:

I love your birds, Kath! Beautiful. Hope the family gathering for your sister’s wedding is full of special moments. Enjoy!

• So nice to see you Laura, thanks for the lovely comments, we are gearing up now, we all need shoes and haircuts and I am leaving it a bit late as always, at least I have the present. We are giving them money and I thought the artwork could add a personal touch. I hope your writing heaps?

• Laura says:

Artwork is a beautiful gift! How was the wedding and family time? Writing is coming along…love how a local writing friend is pushing me and helping my brainstorming process. Practice is always a good thing for our art.

• Wedding was amazing, my sister looked stunning and the view from where they married breath taking. I am so happy you have someone to connect with locally your words need to be out there Laura, you have a story to tell like no other and Im here when its finished and you need a shout out.

2. Love this one. I kind of know how I could Photoshop that, but I bet you were much more elegant.
    I understand your obsession with birds. I do the same with dogs, though I fear I put them in all sorts of places where they aren’t as relevant as a different writing image might be!

• Thanks Jacqui I use to use photo shop all the time as a graphic designer, now I have gone back to more basic hands-on artworks and enjoy art again. Dogs are man’s best friend they are so smart and they even sense when we are down. We have two dogs and would be lost without them.

3. suzjones says:

My favourite bird is the Blue Wren. This is simply delightful. 🙂

4. theodraws says:

Beautiful collage and wonderful sentiments!

5. Letizia says:

What a lovely piece (I was trying to look at the words to see where you had gotten the newspaper clipping from but couldn’t make them out. Is it anything significant to the piece?). How fun to be a part of such a big family (9 children!) – I can just imagine how you would all speak at once. I only have the one brother and even so it was hard to get a word in at the dinner table growing up, haha.

6. Yolanda M. says:

I love birds. I love your birds. This one in particular on his paper branch is just magical!

Your birds are so sweet, don’t ever stop drawing them all together. I hope the wedding is all you imagine, with the chatter and chirp – I know you’ll appreciate being with all of those important and lovable people! Congratulations to the newly weds!

• Sara thank you they have been together for seventeen years and so it was lovely to see them do this. We were surrounded by nature and a view of mountains rising out of a river. Could not express how awesome it was to share this day with all my family.

8. Beautiful! I love the paper tree branch too.

9. Sherri says:

Oh Kath, what a beautiful sketch, I adore birds. I have just noticed the Blue Tits returning now to our feeders now that things are cooling off here, although no frosts yet. I eagerly my garden robin who sadly hasn’t been since February. He was my muse when I first started my blog 🙂 And what a wonderful family gathering. I love how you describe your family, mine is noisy and loud too, we all talk at once it seems but nothing beats just being together at such precious gatherings does it? I hope that your dear sister’s wedding was filled with love, laughter and utter joy 🙂

10. Roy McCarthy says:

Love your bird sketches Kath, though they always look a bit cross to me. Maybe that’s deliberate?

11. this is beautiful work! I love the pop of blue.

12. Bring on the birds, Kath. I love all of your artwork. Your family sounds as wonderful as it is large.

Blessings ~ Wendy ❀

• Thanks Wendy I think I need to start practicing movement in my child drawings for the picture book next. I seem to have the birds distracting me all the time. My swallows have three little babies flitting about now, so beautiful.

13. marysue128 says:

I’m a little late but congratulations on your sister’s marriage! I can feel happiness and love through the bird. Your sister’s so lucky to be receiving such beautiful gift. I also love how you drew fuzzy lines around the bird. It has a great effect!

14. thevelvetsoapbox says:

I so love this post Kath, it makes one feel like they are there looking in on this happy occasion. Love this particular bird too, it reminds me of two little postcard sized paintings that I have here which belonged to my Dad. The paintings were done by a priest when my Dad was at school so they are about 85 years old.