The Art of SLOW

portrait (copy)

Art by Kath Unsworth

SLOW MOVING MAMMA

That’s me……

The Illustration Friday topic for the week is the word SLOW.

This image I created today was a slow-moving cow with a heavy load. The picture itself took me three and half hours to complete. It felt very slow. Capturing the highlights took some time.

I guess I am an expert at going slow. If there was an award for the longest time creating a picture book. I would win hands down. November is a time I look back to see how far I have come. Oh dear, I have not come as far as I would have liked. LIFE DOES GET IN THE WAY of OUR VISIONS. This year, when I started selling my art at a local craft gallery, everything else got put to the side. My word for the year was Productivity. I know I have been productive making lots of art. BUT the picture book characters frown at me and say…. “Hey don’t forget about us, please colour us in!”

I suppose I could look at it this way.

Good art takes time.

I have the skill of going slow, down to a fine art.

Every picture I draw helps me sharpen my skills. I have gone over the illustrations at least three times each.  I’m confident after a year of experimenting with movement, viewpoint, different textures and bright colours that my characters will eventually shine.

Slow is not a bad word. Living in the countryside, is very slow. I’m liking it. My younger city-dwelling self would have run a mile from the words slow-country-living. The fifty year old me enjoys the fact I have no neighbours, just cows to talk to. Cows are slow most of the time, unless they see the truck loaded up with grain. Then you get to see some funky cow moves for sure.

No, I will not rush it, I will be slow and it will take as long as it takes.

I am thankful for all the fun art I have created this year and connecting with so many wonderful people out there. The journey continues.

Are you a machine at finishing your projects or are you a slow poke like me?

This entry was posted in Illustration Friday and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

86 Responses to The Art of SLOW

1. Sherri says:

What a beautiful cow, I just love your art Kath and think you are amazing that you can produce something so gorgeous in such a short time! I am definitely a slow poke but with my writing so it’s nice to know I’m not the only one 🙂

2. I wouldn’t call myself fast when it comes to art, but I do know that when I take too long, when I procrastinate, it’s my subconscious telling me the interest isn’t what it ought to be. Of course, it takes me a long time to accept that. I love your cow and know you’ll get to all you desire in the proper time. Slow is progress that incorporates learning. You’re doing great.

3. Alisa Belzil says:

I can’t believe how fast the year has gone by! I feel the same… Slow and Thankful for the journey 🙂

4. Yolanda M. says:

Great post Kath 🙂 I am definitely slow. Snail slow when it comes to some of my writing – my novel in particular. I defend it by saying the story is ‘marinating’. I love your cow she seems gentle and her eyes soulful.

5. Gorgeous picture, Kath. I can motor on a deadline–but I leave a cloud of unwashed dishes, dirty laundry, and grimy floors behind me. There’s only so much time and energy per day. Each of us has to do what works for our particular lifestyle. I’d say you’ve chosen well.

Blessings ~ Wendy ❀

6. Slow moving Mama looks like she could step off the page. She’s beautiful, Kath. Speed is highly over rated. I, too, must be slow. Like the turtle charm I wear on my necklace, ‘slow and steady wins the race.’ Your work is a winner. Great job!

7. Roy McCarthy says:

Kath the rest of the world moves too fast, you go at the correct pace. Do you imagine anyone ever criticised the grand art masters for being slow? I don’t think so. What breed is that? It doesn’t look pretty enough for a Jersey 😉

• Roy you are a hard man to please, my birds look cranky and my cows aren’t pretty enough lol. She is a Jersey but she could be a cross, Im not real sure. I do agree Jersey calves are very pretty little things. Have a great day and thanks for stopping by.

Hi Kath!
    I love your cow above here…I congratulate you!
    As to the insights you have shared with us, I couldn’t agree more with you…
    To slow it down is so important nowadays mainly because life itself has turned into something fleeting, elusive and hectic
    Good art takes time… True that. Let´s give it time then …
    Sending you all my best wishes!. Aquileana 😀

• Aquileana thank you and yes hectic and fleeting are two words we all understand. When I was a child life was so slow. But for my kids they agree life is going way too fast as well. We do too much and so a day on the farm doing nothing is wonderful.

The older I am the slower I get. You’ve convinced me to relish it.

10. kayesims says:

Oh, Kath. This is so timely for me – as I finally get a chance to read it. I was just saying to hubby about how slow I am with this moving process. Moving from the farm we’ve lived on for over 40 years and the neighborhood that has been my home all of my life. This process has taken so long and I feel so slow. But I was just telling myself that that’s okay. And now here you are telling me the same thing.
    Thank you, thank you.

11. Always beautiful, and inspiring…your words, and the gifts you create through artistry! The radiance of your heart and spirit shines brightly. Hugs and blessings Kath…it is wonderful to share with you in this life!

12. I love this from the different angles it offers, Kath. I was just talking with a blogger about how impatient Asians are, though exceptions abound (esp depending on geography). I’ve slowed since settling in California over 10 yrs ago but I’m still usu. revvin’ to go. I love this beautiful piece of art and how long it took you, how the process itself was the art and experience of what you set out to capture.

13. Dalo 2013 says:

This is perfect… About 20 years ago, my older & wiser sister gave me a journal with her written words “Take it slow, keep it simple” and it has been my mantra. Your painting (and cows in general) are perhaps the epitome of slow ~ having grown up in cattle & wheat raising country of the USA, it was easy for me to ‘learn from the cows’ so to speak ~ and taking things slowly gives time for the answers & options to sort themselves out until there is just one remaining…and it keeps things simple 🙂
    Cheers!

• Randall thanks for stopping by, I appreciate you reading my humble blog post. Your site is one of the most beautiful I have ever seen. I look forward to reading more from you. Just looking at your images lifts my energy levels and I want to go sketch something. Thank you.

• Dalo 2013 says:

I wish so much I could sketch ~ it is a lot like my love for music; appreciation but without the talent to partake. I think that is why I’m drawn to photography 🙂

• Randell your images are beautiful paintings. No one can see what you see and your work is so unique. If I tried to paint or sketch one, I don’t think I could do it justice. Your work is complete and utterly divine. My husband loves taking photo’s of the cows on the dairy in that soft morning light, I sketch them, but I also say to him that the images are perfect pieces of artwork on their own.

• Dalo 2013 says:

Thank you, you have the heart of a Daoist ~ very humble…
          I’d take painting skill over photography any time 🙂
          Cheers!

Oh Kath, slow is not necessarily a bad thing, so long as you stay creative and keep creating art, you’re doing it right, regardless of the pace you’re doing it at. You can’t rush art, it is as simple as that 🙂 Love the illustration of your slow cow. I like the look on her face.

• Gustavo as another year slips through my fingers I see that you are close to finishing another project. When I am in need of some inspiration its people like you that I watch and learn from. But I know that my art does need time and will evolve, even if its painfully slow. My daughter told me next year its time for the picture book to be finished bless her, she is right. I could practice and practice but at some stage I also need to let it go and start on my next idea like you. Thanks for stopping by and I look forward to reading what you have up your sleeves in 2015.

15. Dana says:

Good question! Well, I think I’d have to say, I’m a bit quick, but I recognize that I could stand to go a little slower at times. Perhaps I should move out onto a farm as well! 😀 Happy 2015 to you! Let’s try to remember not to rush through it 🙂

The cow looks amazing! And the way I see it, everyone would like to slow down, IF ONLY…… (fill in the blanks).. the blank could be the boss, the job market, the pressure of expectations… you’re right! life does get in the way of the things we’d like to have 🙂

• Desi you are right, for many years I would complain that we had this beautiful view and no time to sit and soak it up. Time kept slipping through our fingers. Now I just make time. I guess at my age I get it, I cannot take back time and do it again, so I need to act everyday.

17. thepoliblog says:

Your cranky bird and analytical cow have personality. Your art has a distinctive and very good flavor. It captures aspects that other art misses.