A Merry Little Christmas

DSCN5463 (copy)

Art by Kath unsworth

I ask you to tread a gentle path upon this day and the days to come. Christmas is near and we cannot stop it, but we can make it through unscathed and even help those who find it a challenge.

I sit on the deck watching the cows graze on a warm summers morn. Coffee in hand I wave a few pesky flies away. Further up the hillside a group of kangaroos stand tall watching me. The stillness is divine at a time of year when the world dissolves into holiday madness. I think about my friends all over this planet. Each one of you have your own christmas story. I love reading about how you celebrate this time of year.

For some, it might not turn out the way you wish, but we can be grateful for the little things in our lives. I  breathe in, knowing the madness is not far from my door either. I savour the peace and quiet. The children are on holidays, yet not awake, NOT YET.

For me it is about gathering monumental memories with family and friends. Spending precious time together. A rare occurrence in todays world. Beach walks and barbecue time. Whispering to the wind to those long gone, I have not forgotten you.

It is not all about the food or the gifts. I know that sounds crazy to the young right? Not so much when you have lived a little.

Christmas has a way of reminding us of who we care about most and who won’t be at the christmas dinner table this year. It can be a hard time of year. Some people feel it more than others. It might be about not having enough money. It may be the loss of someone dear. Health issues can be an extra burden, or you are alone and feel unappreciated.

At Christmas, people can get depressed.
At Christmas, people miss people.

At Christmas I need to think about the magic I can do. It is a chance to make somebody else’s day. No one will look at you strange when you add a little festive cheer to the local school, home, office or community.

Lets face the facts, as we age we realise no body will ever have the perfect christmas every year. But we can make the best of it and we can think about others and share what we have. Even if it’s only a smile, hug or a card.
I wish you peace, love and harmony, I wish you joy and togetherness.

So I ask you to step gently, through the maze of lights and festive cheer. Through the hopes and dreams of others. Keep your eyes peeled for someone who is not doing so well. Why not see if you can make a difference. One random act of kindness leads to many. You make someone’s day, they feel appreciated and pass it down the line. Simple but it can happen.

Wishing you a magical Christmas from one thankful Aussie.

I hope you see and experience the magic of Christmas by giving or receiving.

I will leave you with three words to go by this Christmas, three words my Father often mentioned for a life well lived. Compassion, Love and Kindness. He is no longer with me in the physical sense but he will always live in my heart when I think of those words.

This entry was posted in moments in time, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

83 Responses to A Merry Little Christmas

A beautiful post (and gorgeous Kangaroo) . Happy Christmas Kath!

2. Merry Christmas, Kath!

You’re carrying on your father’s words with everything you do. Your beautiful post brought tears to my eyes. I’ll hug my family and friends closer because of it and will try to find others in need of hugs over the holidays. Love to you (and I love your kangaroo)!

• Sheila when I wrote that last sentence about my Dad I had a tear too, if we do not savour the moments they are gone so swiftly. So nice to see you back in the blogging world. Love and christmas hugs to you and your family.

4. Lovely post, Kath. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

5. Roy McCarthy says:

Top post Kath. It has made me feel guilty though. I take no notice of Christmas whatsoever and that suits me very well. But I WILL do one or two random acts of kindness as I’m well aware that – as you say – this is a very low and un-wonderful time of year for many. Happy Christmas!

• Roy thanks in Australia at the moment there have been some very sad events. I think christmas can bring with it, a trail of sorrows for some. I hope however you celebrate it, is just how you pictured it to be. Merry Christmas to you too. Random acts of happiness to others is a fantastic way to celebrate christmas.

6. Quite possibly the nicest “Merry Christmas” I have seen. From half a world away I wish you all the best.

• Maurice half a world away seems a short distance out here in internet land. Blessings to you and your family, hope its not too cold. But a white Christmas is something we Aussies only dream about.

7. Zambian Lady says:

A merry Zambian/Austrian Christmas to you, too and a prosperous New Year.

8. Dalo 2013 says:

A wonderful Christmas post ~ and especially a great read with a coffee in hand! This season is a reminder of who we are and where we come from, and while it is always enveloped in happiness for me, you are so right in saying that the absence of one we’ve lost also become part of the day & season for us ~ we miss them so much, but also get the joy of reliving the memories.

9. quite a Buddhist, your father 🙂
    xx

10. Pamela Hodges says:

Merry Christmas Kath,
    Thank you for the three words, and for the beautiful drawing to look at. You have a way to make colors and images come to life.
    xo
    Pamela
    p.s. Pooh says hello.

• Dearest Pamela thanks for stopping by I sent you a Christmas card, it may not arrive in time. But just know, I send love across the sea and happy wishes for you and your gorgeous family. Give The Pooh a hug from me.

11. Kath … What a delightful, peaceful view. I’d love to be on the porch, sharing a cup of coffee with you and watching the cows grazing and kangaroos contemplating their next move. I love your kangaroo – beautiful!

Your father’s three words: Compassion, Love and Kindness are ones we should take to heart year round. My father and mother have both passed. But they also are in my heart. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

• Judy thank you this morning it is raining and outside my front door was the biggest kangaroo I have ever seen. The swallows are singing and the mountain is covered in low cloud. Everything looks renewed, the valley a bright green. I breathe in and savour the new day. Look forward to reading more of your wonderful writing next year. I am thankful my Mum and Dad taught me appreciate those smallest of moments.

12. Dilip says:

What a beautifully composed writing and the sweet innocent looking Kangaroo. Your thoughts capture the real essence of Christmas very well. Yes “Love, Compassion and Kindness” are golden words to be remembered forever!

Wishing you a gain a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! 🙂

I feel I’ve been remiss in commenting on your wonderful posts. I read them all and you instill such a sense of peace and gratitude – I really look forward to your posts and newsletters. May you and your family have a wonderful Christmas, and may the new year bring us all happiness.

14. Tana Bevan says:

*sniffle* *sniffle*
    “At Christmas I need to think about the magic I can do.” Beautiful! To think of what you can do for others does make the world a more magical place. Often it can be as simple as a smile or a kind word. Thank you for a lovely post and beautiful reminder! Wishing much kindness towards you and yours.

“At Christmas I need to think about the magic I can do. It is a chance to make somebody else’s day”.
    Beautiful!… A very touching and heartfelt post dear Kath!… Thanks for sharing your magic.
    All the best to you. Aquileana 😀

16. A wonderful reminder of the true spirit of the holidays and a gorgeously drawn Aussie card. I hope you were surrounded by love and kindness during this season. Wishing you a very happy New Year!

17. katinavaselopulos says:

What a beautiful, heartwarming post, Kath! I had a glimpse of it in my inbox, but never made it to it. What is to be, will always be, and here I am! You reminded me of things my father and mother taught for us to internalize, creating magic out limited resources. I don’t remember a Christmas that we did not take little packages to old or sick neighbors, or did not decorate a bush in the courtyard with cotton and handmade ornaments. You perfectly describe the Spirit of Christmas, because you carry it in your heart. I love your art also!

Take good care.
    Be blessed with many wonderful possibilities this coming New Year!

18. Jim McKeever says:

Well said, Kath, thank you! Catching up with posts after vacation and the holidays, which thankfully were enjoyed rather than endured. I am grateful for that, and hope to pass along that gratitude. Happy 2015 to you and yours!

Lovely post, and a very extremely belated Merry Christmas to you. I’m not a Christian, but I try to do my bit when the Diwali festival is upon us. Commercialization makes it difficult to remember why exactly we have these festivals in the first place