Nature is My Therapy

bird (copy) As 2014 draws to a close and I say that with a smile. I find myself pondering the lessons learned this year. I have taken the steps, in sharing my art. It is due to this community who have encouraged me along the way. I say THANK YOU. I do feel it has slowed the picture book plans, but life is like that. When new opportunities arise we must see where they lead.

I have learnt that I will always be learning. I shared my WIP with a professional editor and a few writing friends and it was clear to me I need to grasp extra skills in editing. The Holly Lisle course, on how to take that first crappy novel draft through the editing process is brilliant (she has many to choose from). An invaluable course for my writing toolkit. I did not realise how much I needed it, until I dared share my novel. What a deep layer of knowledge I must gain to make my book worth the read. I will not rush it, even though I have many stories in my head. Once I learn this set of skills I can apply it to everything I write.

I have also learnt it’s great to be fifty I may be a bit stiff in the joints and my eyes are not as sharp as they once were (glasses glued to my head for all eternity). My imagination thankfully has not diminished. Being fifty gives me a sense of knowing how short time is and a drive to tell many stories. My understanding is we practice our craft until it hurts. We learn those basic skills and then some. When we feel we have arrived, we then push the comfort zone further and learn something that scares us. Writing is not easy for me (it does scare me). Nothing comes to those who sit around waiting. When I look back I can see my skills building. Looking back, is a healthy way to give yourself a pat on the back. Be proud of what you have achieved in the year. Look to the new year with renewed optimism.

My word for 2015 is BELIEVE The word for this year was Productivity. I was productive in getting my art into the Gallery, but the picture book went to the back of my projects list. Next year I must believe in the beauty of my dreams and work my butt off to finish that picture book. Most important of ALL…..

When I teach myself new skills those around me learn too

My Children have been busy, art is all around us (see below) my daughter has used her coloured pens. My son designs new computer games in his drawings, he does not like drawing birds he has his own ideas and wants to learn about game designing when he grows up. If I have anything to give in this world through my art, it is to inspire others to follow that spark of imagination. Nature is my therapy it sets me free. Wrapping up for 2014 I would say it was a massive year of learning new skills, being grateful, and friendship building. I thank you for the encouraging comments and look towards 2015 with optimism in my heart and a truckload of art and stories to share.

DSCN5770

Art by Reed, his draft for a computer game.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

DSCN5769 (copy)

Art by Willow

See you around the corner in 2015

This entry was posted in Inspiration and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

90 Responses to Nature is My Therapy

1. lornafaith says:

Kath – great post 🙂 Love that you were so productive this past year. It feels good to get a lot done and make many friends and learn a bunch of new things along the way. Learning New things was definitely a big one for me in 2014. But I so appreciate you keeping it real and sharing more about you and your family on this post Kath:) Big blessings and keep BELIEVING in your dreams for 2015 – we’ll encourage each other! hugs to you my friend 🙂

2. Very nice year-end wrap up, Kath. I hope I find time to get mine written in the next few days. I can’t wait to see what you produce this year! (Oh, and http://www.NatureIsMyTherapy.com too, LOL.)

3. Judy says:

Happy New Year Kath!! Your kids definitely come by their artistic instincts naturally!! A wonderful thing!! My nephew is interested in game design also…one of the great creative outlets of our digital world I guess!! Then there’s the guys who design transformers…how do they do that…figuring how to get one thing into 5 or 6 things?

You may be learning but you are also teaching by example. Seeing your pictures, birds especially, makes me want to draw and color too!! I actually bought art paper, water color pencils, and some graphite paper so I can cheat and trace outlines onto the paper. So maybe in January I’ll leave the computer and play on paper for awhile!! See…you inspire!!

A Happy, Healthy 2015 to us all!!

• Judy thanks for the lovely comment, I have no doubt with that creative eye you show in your stunning photography, that you will exceed all expectations in creating art on the page. Very excited for you. Keep us posted.

I love all the details in Willow’s parrot. It’s so nice to see your children following in your footsteps with their art and writing. Congratulations on a productive year and I’ll look forward to more of your magic in the new year!

5. Nature is a wonderful therapy. As are dogs. Have a great new year!

6. Dana says:

Oh Kath, I’ve so much to say! First, this is a lovely wrap-up. Isn’t it funny how life twists and turns, and while your book may be on the back burner, for now, your art is out in the world, which is huge and wonderful.

I also think it’s so great you took that writing course. Learning never ends, does it? And you’re right, what you glean can be used for all your future books! While I can’t wait for sweet Sugar’s story, I am patient knowing it will happen in due time.

Lastly, I love love LOVE your word! I may need to use it for myself 🙂

• I Believe ……Dana your new site will be a great place for inspiration, writing tips and wonderful connections. Here is to the belief that we can achieve what we set out to do. I will be so happy if I can just finish. Publication will be a whole other experience. Blessing to you in the New Year to you and your gorgeous family.

7. Loved this post, Kath. Seems we both had productive years. Do you mind if I share “Believe” with you as the word for 2015? 🙂

Even though my kids are adults, I tend to think I am setting a good example as I write my books and strive to get them in print. Like your little ones, they are learning that it is never too late to pursue a dream or a goal that is important to you. The attempt in itself is something we can both be proud of, my friend. ❤

• Jennifer you are one step ahead of me in your writing, you are finished and sending out to publishers. Believe is a good word to share, we can support each other in the coming year just as we have in this year. Thank you for being such a wonderful blog friend.

• But your visual artistry is thriving, so you’re ahead of me there! Don’t worry, it isn’t a competition; we will indeed support each other as friends do. Thank you for always being there. xo

• I watch and learn from you and yes it is is not a competition Jennifer but I am inspired by you to keep at it. Thanks for supporting my scribbles. My parents and teachers in life taught me to watch and learn from those who are doing what they love.

• Writing is hard work, there is no doubt about that, but I love it for some reason, even though it requires so much effort to get it right. Someday I would love to try painting too. There’s something satisfying about creating art of any kind. Of course you know all about that.

8. Happy New Year, you lovely thing! I love your 2015 word…believe. Great one! I was reminded by fellow blogger Sheila that my intention in 2014 was to love more and she said that I most certainly did. I didn’t shout it to the world, but my 2015 word is…enjoy.

9. Dalo 2013 says:

Beautiful artwork ~ you do have talent. I had two words for ’15, but I think I will borrow yours as well, so I now have 3: create, be strong and BELIEVE. 🙂 Wish you well ~

10. For some reason our comment didn’t take a couple of days ago, so we’re trying again!

You KNOW we’re with you on the great-at-50 (and beyond!), Kath. And if you actually are able to work your butt OFF, you are required to share the how-to with the rest of us!!

Speaking of sharing, thanks for sharing your art with us as well as your friendship. We BELIEVE it will, indeed, be a Happy New Year!

11. dilip says:

Have a wonderful New Year 🙂

12. Believe is a fantastic word to take with you into the year. You’ve set some solid groundwork in 2014, and I am certain you will achieve more than you think possible. It’s lovely to see the inspiration you give your kids, too. Cheers to 2015 🙂

13. Alisa Belzil says:

Happy New Year, Kath! No doubt, exciting things are on the breeze of the new year for you. I cannot wait to see what beautiful art you will share. I’m excited for you and your house full of artists. I so enjoy reading about your journey through your art process and your positive outlook on life and love. I admire you so! Thank you for always inspiring me with your beautiful words and art. Wishing you a most prosperous year. I believe in you!

14. leamuse says:

Oh Kath! What an inspirational post. Yes, nature is great therapy as is creating. You have had quite a work-out in 2014 flexing those creative muscles! What a gift you have given to your children and how exciting for you to see them grow and create. I do hope that if not now, one day they realise just how very fortunate they are.

Bonne année et bonne santé mon amie! Léa

• Lea 2014 was a special year getting to know wonderful souls like you, from all over the globe. I find myself in my simple little life wondering what you are up to? Those words right there (my simple little life) have inspired my next post. Blessings to you.

• leamuse says:

Likewise Kath. Christine and I have been communicating for a few years now along with a few others but you were this years shining star and I have no doubt that Christine would agree.
        Interesting, I shall look forward to the post. I recently wrote about my little life. However, I’m not sure it will be posted in the near future. You are a treasure!

• Lea that is so sweet, I look forward to many inspiring poems this year from both you and Christine and if you share your post I am sure it will be brave, bold and powerful, for all who read it.

15. Thanks for liking my post Restful Sunday.
    Mitsu
    >^;^<

16. Yolanda M. says:

Believe is a powerful word – like Faith…all things stem from a commitment to self and believing in your own power to manifest greatness. I believe in you and your wonderful imagination Kath – all the best for 2015!

• Yolanda that is such an encouraging comment as are many here who inspire me to keep going. I feel blessed by this community. Wishing you peace and joy for this new year ahead. Happy writing.

Happy new year Kath! Your picture book is not going anywhere so take your time, nothing worse than a rushed job. I look forward to following your blog this year and can’t wait to read about your future projects (and see your beautiful illustrations).

• Gustavo I have said it before, I watch and learn from those who are one step ahead of me and you are rocking it when it comes to production. Thanks for the encouraging words over the last year it means a lot coming from a fellow artist.

18. Pingback: Word Up 2015 | writing at the table