I Can’t Sleep. (Prompt Me Punk2 picture book draft)

The winner of the picture book prompt went to Louise Gallagher.

Orvill the Cat sat on Jake the Dog’s mat.

Thank you Louise the children thought this simple sentence would make an awesome picture book idea. I hope I did it justice and I thank each and every one of you for commenting and leaving a prompt. I really had fun with this one.

Please stop over at Louise’s site and introduce yourself she is an amazing, inspiring woman and I have only just started following her blog Dare boldly. Louise’s motto….. inspiring acts of grace in everyday living.

Enjoy the story and remember it is only a rough draft I have worked on it for about a week and I do feel the manuscript still needs some tweaking. But that’s all part of the fun.

DSCN6092 (copy)I Can’t Sleep

by Kath Unsworth

A bossy grey cat sat on the dog’s mat.

The little white dog, yapped and yapped.

“You can’t do that! I can’t sleep.”

The smart dog found a new sleeping place.

An orange plump hen clucked.

“What a disgrace! I can’t sleep.”

This pushy bird perched high on some hay.

A brown skinny calf mooed.

“Please go away! I can’t sleep”

Our tired little calf found another shed.

Whilst a pink rounded pig snorted.

“Get out of my bed! I can’t sleep.”

The proud pig lay down on some soft lovely wool.

Then a black fluffy sheep, baa’d.

“This will not do! I can’t sleep.”

The weary sheep dropped to his knees by the pond.

A colourful duck quacked LOUDLY.

“This is all wrong!”

She quacked and she quacked until the moon rose high, the noise from the farm was a deafening cry.

“We all can’t sleep!”

Until Jake the dog sighed.

“Quiet! We don’t want to start another big riot!”

He went back to the cat on his mat.

“Why did you take my mat, like that?”

The cat hung his head in sorrow and shame.

“There’s a horrible giant spider, that is to blame.”

Jake asked the spider if it could leave the cats bed.

“I only sat here for a rest,” he said.

Jake helped the spider get back to his ceiling.

Now the cat and the dog, the hen and the calf, our pig and the sheep and the duck all went back to dreaming.

The very next evening, they heard that cat shriek.

“Eek! There’s a slug in my bed and I can’t sleep!”

THE END

This entry was posted in Prompt me Punk and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

76 Responses to I Can’t Sleep. (Prompt Me Punk2 picture book draft)

1. That is precious. What a mind you have! No child will want to stop reading before the end.

2. What fun! I feel so honoured and blessed by you, your children and your wonderful poem — the phrase comes from an exercise I used when I teach story-telling (I also used it went I taught creativity to children. 🙂 It’s meant to demonstrate ‘story arc’ – The cat sat on a mat does not have the same drama as… the cat sat on the dog’s mat. Thanks you so much Kath for the honour!

3. Alisa Belzil says:

I’m so charmed by your illustration and find myself smiling and wanting to read more. You have a way with putting pictures with words and I can’t wait to read my kids to sleep at night to one of your picture book. I apologize for not leaving a prompt! I kept reminding myself to and kept getting blocked. You have a gift my friend!!!

4. Cecilia says:

Absolutely awesome, you have a great talent. Congratulations.

You are a natural! This is a wonderful story showing the domino effect of one’s behavior. Plus it’s so much fun to read. Well done!!

6. Oh this is such a wonderful story Kath! I love it and can hear myself reading it to my grandchildren! You have great talent xx

7. The cat’s troubles soon become all the animals’ woes until the dog steps in to solve it. Lovely, Kath. 😉 I love the illustration, too.

8. My boy and I read this together. He laughed and laughed, and was first totally charmed by the drawing. The TEXTURE you captured on that cat!

9. Adorable! I love Louise’s site too! I have a problem though…can you comment again on my IF post as somehow it accidentally got deleted. I don’t know what button I pushed, but I wanted to let you know that it was accidentally deleted ~ I was trying to reply, but something happened. Thanks for connecting with me…been out of the loop a bit but trying to blog more often. Hope all is well with you! ♥

10. Kate Loveton says:

I read this once to myself, and then – I was so taken with it – I had to read it again but this time aloud to hear it as a child would. Fabulous!

• Hi Kate so nice to meet you through Diana she is generous by sharing her space and connecting other souls. Thank you for stopping by I look forward to reading some of your posts soon.

Beautiful poem-prose dear Kath ❤
    The painting is lovely as well… Thanks for the sweet delivery!
    All my best wishes! Aquileana ⭐

12. Dalo 2013 says:

Wonderful writing ~ you have a way with prose and a story. What a great children’s story book this would make… I could have seen reading & re-reading this to my nieces and nephews when they were little and laughing up a storm at every point along the way 🙂

• My son has a giant smokey grey Tabby cat called Apple (of all things). He is ferocious at times BUT out of the four cats we own he is the biggest sook as well…The small dog is my sisters dog Scooter, the sweetest, most friendly little chap I have ever met….so thats where my ideas grow from…. real pets Randall.

13. Pingback: PROMPT Me Punk 3 | Minuscule Moments of Inspiration

14. Léa says:

Delightful Kath! Oh how I wish I had a wee one to read it to…

• Thanks Lea, I have a whole box of children’s books that I read to myself to inspire me. But there is nothing better than reading to the little ones and watching their reactions.

• Léa says:

Kath, you are absolutely right. I miss having wee ones cuddled up for stories and also poems. I use to read poems to them as well. Of course I did the voices as well.