You Can Do It!

Life challenges and surprises me often as do my two gorgeous children.

I am now armed with new prisma-colour blue drafting pencils. As I found my black ink outlines on the illustrations were a little too heavy and using these pencils I can change something if I need to, before rendering the image.

Yes I know I am fussy, I should have had these illustrations for Sugar and Spice done already. But each time I re-do them I learn something. It’s not easy making a decision to do them again, let me tell you. It hurts each time I don’t get it right. All that work, all those hours and countless copies of the one image.

This image below is a good example the cat (Spice) is coming along nicely, the kewpie dolls need canes as when I shared the draft on Facebook, people thought they were ballerina’s. The lines are too hard on the dolls and so when I do the next one I will use the new drafting pencils. I must deliver the best piece of work that I can muster and I will not settle for less. I’m getting closer now I can feel it.

Draft from Sugar and Spice

Draft from Sugar and Spice

My daughter inspires me to never give up. The other day she came home a little frustrated. She has been practicing the recorder now since last year. A few of the children from her school will be going to play at the Opera House with over 200 other kiddies. Last Thursday she found out, that she may be playing with the wrong hand.

“All that hard work.” she said “For nothing.” she said. I tried to console her reminding her no practice is for nothing and I offered her a challenge.

“You can do this! How about if you can play the three songs by August with your other hand, I will give you fifty dollars.” She huffed at that. But went away to her room. I heard her playing the songs over and over. Four days later she came to me and played this with her other hand. Not bad for a few days practice, looks like she will get that fifty dollars. I also told her brother that he can earn fifty dollars too, if he sticks with his new Karate classes. (Another story) So I may be a bit poorer in August.

Willow is also working on her picture book (The Magpie Tree). She is practicing sketching birds in illustrator pens, (such detail) each bird is created in fine dots. I have no doubt one day she will get to see her work published. It is such an honour to sit alongside her and watch her work so hard and have beautiful things to show for it.

Art by W. Unsworth

Art by W. Unsworth

And so I keep cheering my children onwards and they inspire me every day. I hope you enjoyed the music and our view from the deck. I hope we inspired you in some small way to never give up on your dreams.

This entry was posted in Inspiration and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

86 Responses to You Can Do It!

1. thevelvetsoapbox says:

Love the video and the music! You live in a beautiful part of the world. And well done Willow! 🙂

2. Hi Kath
    Could you contact me by email naaron2@hotmail.com
    I would love to discuss some thoughts with you about my book cover. Thanks Karen 🙂

Kath!… I love the sketches you have so far! … And the stories with regard to your kids are lovely and I think you are doing great to give them incentives… That was they’ll improve and develop their potentialities. Great post… All the best to you and yours. Aquileana 😀

4. What an inspirational post! You have much talent in your family Kath. Can’t wait for the finished Sugar and Spice! 😄

5. Alisa Belzil says:

Kath, you always inspire me! I loved that you shared this piece of Spice! Just the cutest little cat ever. I find myself wondering how much or how little to share from the books I am illustrating right now. So much time goes into edit after edit, and I very much understand the angst you and your Willow have been feeling. I’m so happy to hear about your bond of inspiration, between mother and daughter… Champions for each other. Friends forever. Thanks for all you share and continue to inspire.

• Alisa thanks, my sister who works for a publishing firm advises that I keep all the original illustrations under wraps. So from here on in I won’t be sharing any because I’m up to completing originals. I guess its the same as writing. The correct way to go if you want to be published traditionally is to never share your manuscript online. My sister also mentioned the issues with people just stealing your work. I guess with self publishing its different and I may go down that road in the end, but first I will try the traditional way. I know that can take years but I will just keep starting new books to keep me busy. I have heard that publishers love to hear you have more than one book up your sleeve. I know you would have many. Thanks for stopping by, we can inspire each other.

6. Madhu says:

You, and your children, are hugely inspiring! I enjoyed the music and love the incredibly detailed bird illustration. Good luck to Willow! 🙂

I knew some brilliant quality sketches were on their way after that art class 😀 hahaha! Spice looks so adorable! The eyes are just perfect!.. And even I thought those were ballerinas, until you clarified. Lovely music, and equally uplifting scenes around your home… The Magpie illustration is amazing, it must have taken Willow a lot of effort and patience to make so many dots.. No doubt many achievements are in store for her 🙂

• Thanks Desi I have just started another course with Craftsy on picture books and I think it will help us even further. Never too old to learn something new. Thanks for the encouraging words. After this next course I will re-do my cat again and hope I will finally have it right. Willow says thanks, I am just letting her do her own thing, as you can’t beat the imagination of a kid, they have it in bucket loads and inspire me daily.

Knowing when to stop and accept your illustration as “final copy” is so, so hard, because you can always improve it, or so it seems. I can definitely relate Kath. What an amazing view and Willow’s got loads of talent. Love those birds. Good job in encouraging her artistic talent!

• Gustavo Im getting closer now just one more course that is helping me see whats missing in my illustrations and then Im ready to finish. Now my finish could still be a long way off and I am amazed every time you finish another cool book.

I love how a curious, daring personality really comes through in your drawings of Spice. The video and music is so beautiful and peaceful. I know you can do it. That’s great that your kids are learning that kind of perseverance from you. I’m looking forward to seeing your beautiful creations in print!

10. Alright, that’s it! If that’s the view from your deck, I’m coming over.

So amazing that you are encouraging this creativity in your kids. I was very lucky to have support from my parents, always urging me to keep writing and giving me plenty of space and freedom to express myself.

Sometimes that resulted in crazy fashion choices. One time my dad asked me: “You do realize you have two different colored socks and two different colored shoes on, right?”

I smiled and nodded.

And, my dad let me go to school dressed just like I wanted. Some kids made fun of me, and some thought it was cool. 🙂

• You give me the courage to keep encouraging them, my daughter would wear different coloured socks in a second, if she thought of it Britt, she enjoys being weird. her brother sometimes says she’s far too crazy at times. I love letting them be themselves.

11. Ah, I loved the video of your beautiful yard with Willow’s music as the soundtrack! Thank you for sharing that. And she’s clearly got some of her mama’s talent for drawing too. 🙂

12. Sue Slaght says:

I love the story of your daughter and her motivation to succeed. Creative thinking and a good life lesson that when one works hard there is reward. You live in a lovely part of this world!

13. Luanne says:

What special art! Of course, you know I am going to love anything with cats and dolls ;)!!! This is really exciting! I love it!
    As for Willow’s work, beautiful. I love the dot art. Is it pointillism? Do they still call it that? I had a friend years ago who went through a period where he did most of his art like that? He did some art for our store advertising and then he created a “trilogy” of 3 large pictures of a boy, a young man, and an old man (same guy) with the American flag that he gave to us one year for Christmas. All dots.

• Luanne I think we called it stippling at school but she just loves to experiment. I always wanted a Kewpie doll on a cane at the local fair as a child. But my parents had nine children and so I never asked for one because in those day $10 was a lot of money and imagine having to buy seven for the seven girls in the family. So it became a secret dream and when I was old enough and working, I remember the pleasure I got out of buying my two baby sisters one, each. Its these kinds of memories of the fair that stick in my head and will create the colours and magic in the book, my special memories as a child. thanks for stopping by.

14. diannegray says:

I just love that music and the countryside, Kath! How is the weather down there at the moment?

15. A very generous mom. I give him 50 cents per (full) load of laundry folded. He was rewarded $3 for memorizing hundreds – and hundreds – of facts across seven subjects over 5.5 months this year. LOL. Wonderful post, Kath. I’m always game on the topic of obstacles and achievement.

16. I love your artwork Kath. And I so love it that you are creating alongside your children and nurturing their own art as well. Most of all, I love your mother’s heart. It shines through always. I love that you persevere and teach your children never to give up. It’s a journey being a mum and more! Btw, I would love to hear from you if could share with us how to help our kids develop and nurture their artistic skills. My son loves art and draws stacks and stacks everyday. Thank you and beautiful blessings. Say hi to Willow from a fan! Hugs and hugs, Sharon

• Sharon thank you for the kind words. Your son is doing something that he loves and so he will experiment and play with art and become who he is meant to be. You have a very creative eye, I see it in your photography and so your son can see it too. Just let him play, he will evolve by your encouragement. Also I show Willow many artists work and go to galleries when we can. Show your son this wonderful Artist Kerby https://www.facebook.com/sketchystoriesblog
      I am inspired by his stunning and unique pen work.

• Thank you so much for your valuable feedback Kath. I really do appreciate it. And thanks for directing me to Artist Kerby. I just checked out his stunning pen work and will show it to my son. I dabbled with watercolours when I was younger but my son seems more interested in pencil and markers. Have you seen Tove Jansson’s illustrations? She’s the creator of the Moomins, Finland’s national treasure. We’ve been learning together a bit of her line art (at least that’s what we call it!) But one thing I know I’ll be doing – we’ll be coming over and checking out your glorious work! Many thanks again Kath. Love to the kids. Hugs.

17. What better gift than to give our children the confidence to create in whatever artistic medium they choose. I think more parents shuld encourage their children. It helps develop thinking outside of the normal which can help with future decision making. BRAVO … to you !!!!
    Isadora ❤

18. Kath … Tell Willow I really enjoyed her beautiful tune. Quite the motivational speaker, you are. I love the view as well. 😉