Happiness is……..

Art work by Kath Unsworth FOR my MUM

Art work by Kath Unsworth

My joy is the silence, waiting and listening.

I am grounded, within those small moments

Life in all of its complexities does not exist.

The birds song is the sound of happiness.

The real joy, is finding someone who shares that passion.

A recent trip to the Botanical gardens, a day out for my mothers birthday, I asked for a hint on what I could buy her as a gift. She said she would like one of my bird sketches. We stopped at the café, and ordered  hot chocolates before our walk. The first thing I noticed was the amount of wrens flitting about and jumping from table to table.

Happiness washed over me.

I cannot deny the simple fact that birds make me happy. On this particular day I did not have my camera with me. The children thought the cheeky birds were cute and fed them crumbs. I sat quietly grinning and savoured the moment.

I think we forget to enjoy those tiny moments. A wren sat on the back of my mum’s chair and we both smiled. My mum loves birds too.

My mum knows happiness and makes every day count. She is thankful for the sunshine on a winter’s day. She smiles at the children playing in the playground and enjoys her surroundings where ever we go, especially the birds. I feel blessed she handed her positiveness down to us.

Happy birthday mum you are my inspiration.

After that day in the gardens I decided I would sketch a blue wren for her birthday. I added a bit of extra charm by using newspaper and was happy with the results. The best way to express how much I love my mum is through my art.

Happiness is sharing my passion for birds with my beautiful mum.

I leave you with Mary Oliver, she really knew how to see and enjoy the smallest of moments. Her passion for nature shines through.

“You do not have to be good.
You do not have to walk on your knees
for a hundred miles through the desert, repenting.
You only have to let the soft animal of your body
love what it loves.
Tell me about despair, yours, and I will tell you mine.
Meanwhile the world goes on.
Meanwhile the sun and the clear pebbles of the rain
are moving across the landscapes,
over the prairies and the deep trees,
the mountains and the rivers.
Meanwhile the wild geese, high in the clean blue air,
are heading home again.
Whoever you are, no matter how lonely,
the world offers itself to your imagination,
calls to you like the wild geese, harsh and exciting –
over and over announcing your place
in the family of things.”
― Mary Oliver

This entry was posted in Inspiration and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

89 Responses to Happiness is……..

When I look at birds I usually think that Nature itself could not be more perfect… that song at the beginning of your post was certainly a happy one… I love the drawing as well… And always love to read your deep and thought provoking insights on essential topics such as this one….Love and best wishes to you, dear Kath! Aquileana 😀

2. dilip says:

Your mom is a wonderful lady and greetings to her on her birthday and for her good health and happiness. Your post is absolutely uplifting and the sketch of the ‘blue wren’ so beautiful!
    Cheers 🙂

3. Judy says:

Birds make me happy too!! And so does looking at your beautiful drawings!!

4. Kath, I adore your bird pictures. There’s something so innocent, joyful, and inspiring about little birds. They truly live in the moment. A good lesson for all of us.
    Blessings ~ Wendy ❀

5. Kath … Your wren is beautiful and I can see why its mere sight would lift your spirits. I love to see them flitting about and here them singing. I’ll bet your mom was delighted with your birthday drawing. Wish her a belated happy birthday from me. 😉

6. reocochran says:

I really liked the sweet blue wren. I am a bird named Robin. I collect porcelain and glass birds. Your artwork is exquisite.

• Robin I have a thing for Robins but this year my little red robin’s have not come to visit. I hope they are back next winter, I miss them. Thanks for commenting.

• reocochran says:

I am so glad you associate positive thoughts with robins. I have not heard of reasons why they would not return to places they normally show up at, have you? I will try to read more so we can get to know each other. 🙂

• For two years running I had them visit but this year they have not come. Although winter is not over yet, so we will see. Just started following your blog Robin. Look forward to reading more about your world.

Just picturing the birds flitting around you and your family brings a smile. I watched a male and female cardinal in the yard over the weekend. They looked like they were kissing because the male kept giving her food (or maybe they really were kissing – it was hard to tell)! I love your blue wren and the newspaper effect makes it look 3-D, like it could jump off the page and sing you a song.

8. Sherri says:

Such a beautiful, lyrical post Kath, and your darling little wren is just gorgeous. The joy of your day spent with your mum flowed through your lovely words with love and tenderness – a happy belated birthday to your mum!) – and brought smiles to my heart for the reminder of special days I get to share with my mum. Precious indeed. Hope you are feeling better, sending you a big hug 🙂

9. Léa says:

Kath, the wondrous birds are my alarm clock each morning! With that, how could one not wake with a smile?
    Your mom is a treasure but then so are you. 🙂

10. Luanne says:

Happy birthday to your Mum! (Although we’re American, my daughter calls me Mum BTW).I’m so happy to hear you say that birds make you happy! They make me happy, too. I saw a beautiful woodpecker this morning, first thing. A white and black checkered pattern. So pretty and so busy. And one of the baby hummingbirds come up to my husband when he’s outside because he was always cleaning the fountain under their nest :). I love your bird art!!!

11. Zambian Lady says:

Happy birthday to your mum. Another beautiful painting – how do you manage to do it? 🙂

12. Val Boyko says:

Birds .. Nature .. Connection .. And Mary Oliver 🙂
    thank you for a lovely post Kath!

13. Kate Loveton says:

So nice to read this!

14. Beautiful wren, lovely poem and a lovely tribute to your mother – a belated Happy Birthday to her 🙂

15. Linda says:

Beautiful post all around! A belated Happy Birthday to your mother, and warm greetings from Montreal, Canada. 🙂

16. Sorry I’m late for the celebration for your mother, Kath. This is such a lovely tribute to her. I’m sure she’s as beautiful as you! I love your sketch of the wren! They’re so much fun to watch, such cute little nuggets.

• Jill I appreciate you taking the time to read. You amaze me how many bloggers you support. I understand if you cannot read every post, so thanks again for reading. Mum got a bit teary when my sister read it to her.

17. Sue Slaght says:

What a gorgeous sketch! You are so talented. I hope your Mom had a wonderful birthday. What a great attitude she has about life. Bravo!

That’s such a beautiful little bird, no wonder it puts a smile on everyone’s face. We have a similar black and white bird (sorry I don’t know its name) and it makes a fan out of its tail. Hops around a lot, and looks quite cute… although my favorite is the sparrow :p haha.. Beautiful post, and a lovely reminder to slow down and take in some more things. It’s surprising how we take absolutely no interest in looking around us, concentrating on things that won’t matter when we’re near our end

• Desi I am learning to meditate at the moment and I love how Deepak Chopra reminds me that every little thing in our day does matter. Especially our gratitude for what we have and the things around us in nature. Our end could be today….. so go out and enjoy this playground we have been given to explore. Life is not a dress rehearsal as they say. Thanks for reading.

19. roweeee says:

Kath, what a beautiful post and your bird is just gorgeous. The newspaper print adds a sort of emotion or story. Did you do it all on newspaper or just certain bits? How do you stop the newspaper from ripping? Amazing all round and such a blessing for your Mum!
    Thanks for putting me onto Mary Oliver’s verse. Love it! It feels like turning my soul inside out.
    I was thinking of you today as I went to a authors and illustrators day at Erina Library. Met up with Peter Friend who wrote “What’s the Matter Aunty May?” It is illustrated by Andrew Joyner. The illustrations are old-fashioned in style and remind me of those in Harry the Dirty Dog. I also met Sarah Davis who illustrated the Fearless series written by Colin Thompson. I saw the book of illustrations she is working on for the next book in the series. I think you call it a story board and it was mesmersiing. It was like being taken backstage and exploring behind the scenes and it was just amazing. I am a highly visual person and seeing those illustrations seemed to press all my buttons at once and I was in heaven. I am going to interview her and a few of the other people I met today and I thought you might also like to be interviewed or to have a guest post where you could write about being an illustrator.
    I also met Beverley George who writes Haiku and tankah are fabulous and being translated into Japanese, which is quite an honour. I thought I’d explore these forms and see if I could match them up with some of my photos.
    We’ve had such a big week. My daughter has been diagnosed with vocal nodules and we’re having to drive up to Holgate to see the Speech therapist. Feeling almost as far as the Blue Mountains but we’ve been there twice now and turned it into a journey. Found a great cafe across the road with a beautiful fish pond and vegetarian food. Can’t remember it’s name but could be mustard tree or something like that. Ended up having lunch there with her and we stopped off at the art gallery at East Gosford afterwards. Such a rare,. stolen moment…as you would know! Today, she sat for the OC test at Gosford and later joined me with my husband at the author event. So stoked she could see the illustrations close-up. Imagine having that experience as a 9 year old and the seeds that experience could plant?
    Oh dear. I have violin ensemble shortly and am going to snatch a few minutes of Master Chef before I leave. Take care xx Ro

• Hey Rowena that sounds like an awesome day, especially for your daughter. I live so far away from all the action. We are watching Masterchef too, my daughter loves it. My bird was created with patches of magazine paper. The funny thing is when my sister looked at it, she noticed the word arthritis, mum laughed as she suffers a bit with that. Working on bird pendents at the moment, so much fun.

• roweeee says:

My daughter is a bit spoiled and doesn’t always realise that it’s a bit exceptional to meet the likes of Andy Griffiths, Jackie French etc. All she wanted was churros but when she got home she did say it was fun. I took her to Eckersleys yesterday and bought this shrinking plastic stiff. You draw on it and put it in the oven and it shrinks into hard plastic. It wasn’t that expensive and she loves it!! We also bought origami paper to make paper cranes. They have them in huge glass cannisters at Royal North Shore hospital.
        Now, I need to find some activities to do with my son but he’s off on a scout camp this weekend so it will have to wait.

20. Have just chanced upon your blog and am delighted, Kath! Enjoying your sweet bird and that classic Mary Oliver poem. And I think you are another NSW blogger. Yay.