Making Spirits Bright

Our Xmas Tree made of sticks

Our Xmas Tree made of sticks

We are on the count down to christmas. My patience, tested. The bank balance, diminished. I’m ready to disappear into the scrub, with the birds before all the frivolity and festivities begin.

BUT instead I’m going to remind myself to keep it simple. Live in each moment and think about those people who are doing it tough this time of year.

There will be many sitting at their table on christmas day, longing to spend it with those who are gone. I feel your loss. I have family and friends I miss dearly at christmas. I only hope you can raise your glass in memory of those you love and remember the good times.

Making ends meet, can be a challenge. My parents, with all those children. I often wondered how they managed to give us all a special gift, even when funds were tight. Mum used her sewing talents and Dad repaired bikes or second-hand toys he found on auction nights. (No such thing as eBay back then but dad would have enjoyed finding a bargain in there).

We never compared our gifts to our friends, homemade gifts were special. But our family (thanks to our parents) is never about the cost of the gift and all about the coming together.

THINKING OF YOU

If you find yourself with illness I pray you are able to spend time with the ones you love.

If you have a loved one in hospital I hope you can still be together on christmas day.

If you are alone on christmas day, I wish you comfort through maybe a friend or your community.

My family is large, I have always had a choice, but I feel woeful if I hear about someone spending christmas alone.

MAKING SPIRITS BRIGHTER

This year I wanted to do more creative projects. My daughter enjoys this challenge too. The boys? Not so much, it might be a girlie thing?

We made our christmas tree (above) from sticks collected on my morning walks.

Willow created origami flowers for her teachers at school. She is making more for her grandparents, because everyone loved them.

Willow's origami flowers

Willow’s origami flowers

We are also giving art. There are so many wonderful handmade gift ideas out there on pinterest and google search. For years I would search for the perfect teacher gifts. This year I had the biggest response from the flowers. Willow also gave her artwork mounted as her farewell presents to her primary school teachers. They loved them. It just goes to show, people appreciate when you put a little thought and effort into it.

Art by Willow for her teacher

Art by Willow for her teacher

With the grown ups this year on christmas day we are to spend only twenty dollars on our gift. On one present only. The aim is to find a re-cycled or antique shop, gifting something old but useful. I found the most beautiful book ends with ornate carvings on the sides, a gift I would love for myself. We throw all the presents in the middle and everyone picks one. Such fun to see what people come up with.

We designed our own cards and I can’t tell you how much my friends and family enjoy a card with our art on it.

lp.aspx

Family art card by Kath

preview

Xmas Art card by Willow

So maybe this christmas, make spirits brighter with a little thought, and a handmade gift, it goes a long way. Or maybe just visit that neighbour who lives alone and take them some paper flowers.

Wishing you a wonderful fun-filled christmas. Thanks for supporting my words and art throughout 2015.

This entry was posted in moments in time and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

108 Responses to Making Spirits Bright

1. Letizia says:

Such lovely sentiments my friend. Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas. May it be happy and full of laughter and love. And let me take this moment to thank you for your wonderful blog, always full of beautiful art and wonderful reminders of peace and compassion.

• Oh Letizia you bring a smile to my face on christmas morn here, waiting for the kids to wake up. Thanks for such lovely words. I try to make it around to all my favourite blogs, i follow so many now it gets hard. But I will always return to yours because you offer a unique approach to life and reading, my favourite thing in the world. Merry Christmas friend. I wish one day I could meet all my online blogging friends, now that would be special.

2. Luanne says:

You and Willow are so talented. You get to have such beauty around you!!!

3. Judy says:

This is such a lovely and heartfelt post. I really love it!! I am not sure I felt that sense of peace this year, but still spend some lovely time with my parents. You and Willow are both talented indeed and of course I always appreciate a nice bird image!! The cards you made are wonderful!!

Wishing you and yours an exciting new year full of creativity and wonderful projects!!

4. Inger says:

A wonderful post – I am very much aligned with the message. The Christmas giving has turned into such a commercial thing that it has almost lost all meaning to me. Spending time together is all that matters. And if someone has actually put time and effort into making something especially for me that means so much! 🙂

5. Elizabeth says:

Hi dear Kath, love your tree, so simple and perfect for this time of the year, your words too, peace if the main point for all of us during this time. Have a wonderful year my friend!

6. roweeee says:

Hi Kath,
    Happy belated Christmas to you and the family. I really loved the Christmas tree you and your daughter made and it is redolent with meaning and memories. I also loved the origami flowers Willow made. They’re beautiful.
    My son also finished Year 6 and it was very hard for me to say goodbye to all the kids, even though most of them will be going to school with him next year or still live locally. I have been photographing the kids right through from Kindergarten and it’s different when you’ve been seeing them through the lens light that. Not just as an external observer but interacting with them and being a part of the moment as well.
    His time at Primary School has not been easy for my son and it breaks my heart at times. He is away at Scout Jamboree at the moment and we are painting and renovating his room. It’s been hard for us to keep up with things due to my health but we’re making good progress at the moment so fingers crossed for 2016.
    My daughter will be off to the OC Class at Wyong this year so I’ll be driving her up there for a bit and transitioning her to the train and bus but will probably still take her one or two days a week and stay up there and bring her home.
    So, they have both left Ettalong and I’m having to get myself sorted as well at some point.
    Anyway, take care and best wishes!
    xx Rowena

• Thanks Rowena I hope your xmas was bright and happy, it sounds like lots of changes heading your way too. I will have two bus times to meet this year, so things are going to get a little crazy until Reed goes to same school as Willow. She is very ready for high school, a small school can be good but also a little less choice on friends and opportunities. Hoping to gear my son up for a better last year at primary and he will have extra transitions to high school this year, it is never easy for him either.

7. reocochran says:

The way you open your post with such honesty and warmth in your being on a tight budget was nice. Almost everyone i know has lived simply. So much of what people spend money on is not necessary.
    How you care about others, sending sincere wishes to others, really made me smile. Best wishes to you and your family. Happy new year and I hope your book gets published! 🙂