Story Prompt 3 Winnie and Wink

This Prompt was not as easy as the other two. Not because I wasn’t inspired by all the wonderful and whacky prompts. No, it was a busy time. School holidays (say no more!),  Art Retreat at Bundanon (fabulous as always), seven stitches in my back, removing a suspect mole (was a bad one but all gone now), and life just got in the way of blogging and reading blogs. (That happens a lot lately.)

I want to thank Randall over at https://dalocollis.com for his crazy contribution in the comments. The kids loved his prompt. Please if you are not following Randall’s website you are missing out. His photography is a visual feast for the senses and he is also a unique wordsmith with interesting thoughts on life.

Thanks a bunch Randall you never know this story may become a picture book in time. Thank you to everyone who left a prompt. I hope you enjoy the story.

Winnie and Wink

writing prompt by Kath Unsworth

Whinnie to the Rescue

Winnie and Wink

Winnie and Wink

Winnie and Wink were the best of friends. They did everything together.

Their favourite game of all was hide and seek.

Winnie always found Wink. And Wink always claimed that the next time Winnie would never, EVER find her. But she always did.

“Why won’t you let me find you for a change?” asked Wink.

“Because you need more practice at hiding. And until you get better at it, your  Mum said you have to keep practicing. You don’t want the two-legged monsters to catch you and eat you, do you?”

“No I don’t, but it’s still not fair!”

“Well I’m the best at hiding and you need more practice.” Boasted Winnie.

The next day Wink set off to hide, again she shouted those familiar words.

“You will never, EVER find me!”

Whinny smiled to herself, she always found Wink. Yet by late afternoon Winnie was pacing up and down.

She had looked high, and low and in all Wink’s favourite hiding places, there was no sign of Wink, not even her scent in the air. Winnie refused to say the words I give up. That would mean her friend had finally won. Winnie did not like to lose.

Where could she be? She hoped Wink had not ventured into the land of the two-legged monsters to hide. No bunny was safe out there.

She heard a high-pitched squeal and wondered if it was Wink. Without thinking she scampered out of the woods into the clearing.

The two-legged monsters were stomping around in a garden. To Winnie’s horror they were collecting stunned bunnies.

Her heart stopped when she found a bunny that wore a pink ribbon just like Wink’s, only she was wrapped from head to toe in pink paper.

“What have they done to you Wink?” She knew this had to be some kind of black magic the two-legged monsters had used on her friend.

She had to think fast.

She lifted Wink over her shoulder and ran as fast as her hind legs could go. Back into the safety of the forest.

“Wink! Wink! Talk to me!“

It was no use Wink did not talk or move. Winnie felt bad for making Wink hide all the time.

“I promise Winky if we get out of this mess I will let you be the finder.” She sobbed. “I give up, you win!” She sobbed some more, wrapping her arms around her best friend’s cold stiff body.

“Who are you talking to Winnie?” Said a small voice from behind a bush.

“Wink! it’s you, I found you at last!”

“No you didn’t! I won, you gave up remember.” Wink said hugging her friend. “So tomorrow I get to find you.”

“Yes okay you won, you are the best at hiding, but what are we going to do about this poor bunny?”

Winnie and Wink went back home carrying the strange bunny. They hoped the elders might know a bunny spell to save it.

But that’s another story.

THE END or is it???

Let me know if you can imagine this as a picture book? And thanks for reading.

This entry was posted in Prompt me Punk and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

88 Responses to Story Prompt 3 Winnie and Wink

1. Luanne says:

Absolutely adorable!!! It made me so happy to read this story!

So lovely… `what´ we see is not always `how´ it is … what itis hidden or vanished for a while is not necessarily lost… beautiful brief story, dear Kath… sending best wishes. Happy week ahead. Aquileana ☀️☑️

3. misifusa says:

Yes, an adorable picture book! Go for it! ♥

4. kutukamus says:

Sure, why not? Go on with it. 🙂

5. New Journey says:

I was hooked at monsters…LOL love the visual and yes I could imaging this is a book…..

6. Kath, I can easily see this as a book. Your drawings alone are worth publishing.
    Blessings ~ Wendy

7. Dalo 2013 says:

I loved this Kath ~ was a wonderful surprise to see this today and then to take this idea and make it into such perfect story. You’ve captured the spirit of it all with your drawing too, the worried expression of Winnie seeing the chocolate “Wink” is perfect…they bringing together of the two world (bunny and two-legged monsters) couldn’t be better. I’ll be first in line to buy this story, for the drawings and the way you can weave a tale 🙂
    Cheers to a great weekend ahead!

8. The Sun Lady says:

This would be a wonderful picture book, one adults could enjoy also while reading for their children. I was personally almost in tears, laughing tears, reading that it must be a black magic spell, and then the descriptions of carrying the strange bunny and also getting him back to the elders. It was also interesting with the references to elders and spells and the perspectives of two-legged monsters. Vivid story with lively characters, nice work!

9. The Sun Lady says:

Also I hope the laughing isn’t taken wrong. Maybe humor isn’t what you were going for, It’s not the ideas that are funny, it’s the presentation of the bunnies’ reactions. Very vivid and cute in their innocence as they’re trying to figure out what a chocolate rabbit is.

10. Letizia says:

What a great story, I hope you are writing it as a picture book!

11. I hope it’s not the end! Delightful and worth continuing on the journey!

12. Sherri says:

Kath, this is just delightful, the story and the illustration. What a wonderful surprise to read this! I’m so glad you are well…and I know how life gets in the way of blogging. I am barely clinging on by my blogging teeth at the moment! I can definitely see this as a picture book…keep going! 🙂 xx

13. reocochran says:

Kath, it would charm children and parents alike! Yes, to picture books! I have a few i have written but after the old “send in a SASE” phase I gave up for awhile. My bunny one is called: (our 4H leaders printed it during a time where a little religion never hurt anyone;) )
    “Kissing a Bunny Is Like Saying a Prayer.”
    It had different ways you could show God how you loved nature. My youngest daughter used to pick up her bunny and kiss it’s nose and sometimes without ever being bitten, it’s mouth! ❤

14. Judy says:

Definitely to be crafted as a book with true friendship and plenty of colorful pictures. On the mole…so glad it is over and out!!! Yes, life does get in the way sometimes of the luxury of the blog!! But, don’t worry, give your sketches the time and daylight they need to come to life. Share afterwards!!

🙂

15. Lots of great twists and turns in this piece of writing – love the drawing!

16. sahirmunjral says:

Very Good Story. I am a die hard fan of Harry Potter, Dragons and Monsters of course. I am a 10 year old boy, new to blogging. You can read my short stories at http://shortstories4kids.wordpress.com. Please let me know what you think !