November Moon

dscn8767-copy Some may think I have disappeared from the blogosphere. Its November already and a giant full moon hung in the sky the other night. I have taken many photos of the moon before but after the super moon I had an urge to combine one of my scratchy ravens with a big full moon behind it.

My art is devouring much of my time at the moment. The picture book art is slower, but I read somewhere if you can’t run, you can still crawl. The bank balance for printing my first picture book grows. That and my obsession with crows and ravens. I guess the line drawings are my signature art. I do have a fascination for the darker side of life when it comes to birds and stories.

There will be a story eventually about these scratchy birds, but not sure if it will be for toddlers. (A tad scary)

I have started experimenting on canvas with acrylics and paint pens (below) instead of the usual pen and ink on paper. I was so happy when a lady took my card at the last art markets she told me her daughter loved my scratchy birds and wanted to buy some that she had seen at the last market. It gave me a smile and made my day.

dscn8762

Funny because that day at the markets, my daughter and I agreed it was really slow and so I doubted myself….. should I keep bothering about creating these dark images? Something drives me to do them, I feel alive when creating them. I opened up my inbox with a heavy heart the day after and asked myself what should I be concentrating on? And there it was, her email saying she wanted to purchase some of my scratchy birds. We met up and I was  surprised when she brought the painting and two other pieces. She texted me her photo’s of all the original art she has collected over the years and my raven now has a place amongst some amazing pieces.

DSCN8436 (copy)My biggest issue now is I don’t have enough Raven/Crow photo’s for reference. I guess if I hang around the side of the road long enough, next to some road kill, they will come (ewe). They are very smart birds and never let me get real close.

After selling the first one, I painted another, same composition as the pen and ink above. I took it to a market yesterday and once again I found another lover of ravens. A young 12/13 year old boy from Sydney and he said he particularly liked the moon behind it. And that it would look awesome in his room. His mother was a beautiful soul, we chatted for some time and she told me that I should keep powering through with my hobby and art dreams. She said she would pre-order my picture book when I told her the story and my journey. How cool is that.

dscn8778-copy This hobby of mine is slowly turning into something, I say thank you to all those encouraging people who have commented or purchased a piece of my art. Each time I have shared my creations at markets or on social media I am humbled by the positive feedback.

I now paint what comes, I don’t try to think too much on whether it will sell. I just paint what inspires and feeds my soul. The rest will fall into place. Next year I can see this turning a corner and maybe becoming a legitimate business. Now that scares me because Im not good with paper work etc but I can now see my art printed on jewellery, cards, mugs, bags and the list goes on. Im just following my hearts desire and having so much fun learning along the way.

Below is a new idea for my ravens, dog tags, can’t wait to see what they look like when they arrive all the way from the USA.

4-176405636-0-2-1As I create new images, new ideas evolve. I like the idea  that my art might one day be scattered across the globe. Have a great day and believe in the beauty of your dreams. I know a few people now who have my art on their walls in Canada, USA and Australia and that makes me smile.

This entry was posted in Inspiration and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

80 Responses to November Moon

1. Among your best, K. I can feel the raven under my hand.

2. Joan Hall says:

I love your art, Kath. And don’t worry if things seem to be going slow. I always say “slow and steady wins the race.”

Your artwork has such feeling to it. I love your scratchy birds and the colors that show through in the feathers. I’m so glad it’s catching on and that you’re following your dreams. Those dreams are taking you to wondrous places.

4. You are very clever .. Well done on your sales .. I’m not surprised, they are wonderful
    😃

5. Begairath says:

Your posts are so beautiful and the artwork off course, too good!

6. Darren B says:

I love those crow pictures of yours Kath, especially with the moon behind them, as it reminds me of the Easter full moon and the ‘Byron Bay Bluesfest’ always playing under the full moon…not to mention the time I saw ‘Counting Crows’ play there in 2015.
    I wrote about it here on my little blog –
    I know a lot of people don’t like crows (especially farmers:-) but I love crows and see them like a shamanic totem animal in many ways and I notice them everywhere I go.
    I actually bought a magnet of yours from the Bega Cheese Factory shop this year that said “Art is my therapy” with a red-breasted bird on it, as a bird like this one popped up on a fence in Tasmania and let me shoot a few pictures of it.
    I had never seen a bird like this in real life before (probably because I live in Queensland), but I saw it again on your magnet in Bega on the way back to Queensland from Tasmania, so I had to buy it for my fridge.
    I only came across this blog because the magnet had ‘ScratchyBirdDesigns’ on it, so I Googled it to see what other artworks this artist had made.
    Those crows are great and I love the idea of the dog tags…I’ll buy one…even if I probably won’t wear it.
    I’ll just hang it up somewhere and let it blow in the breeze.
    And if you want some photos of crows just put crows into the search on my blog and take what you want, the majority are pictures I’ve taken on trips around Australia.
    The best ones are probably in this post –
    Feel free to use any bird pictures you like, not just the crows.
    My gut feeling is that you are right on track with your art…and my gut has a good track record.
    Cheers, and I wish you well in your future endevours.

• Darren how cool to hear that you have been to the Bega cheeses Heritage Centre and have my magnet. that little female Scarlet Robin use to visit me every day in the winter. her and her vibrantly coloured Partner and I was lucky to get some snaps. I can’t wait to check out your blog link. Thanks for stopping by look forward in seeing your photography and reading your blog cheers thanks heaps.

• Darren B says:

The bird I saw that inspired me to buy your magnet in Bega is pictured in this post of mine –
        I had stopped on the way to Port Arthur to eat a crayfish roll and I wanted to stretch my legs and get out of my car, but the picnic benches were too wet to sit on, so I walked along a fence line and then this little funny bird popped up as if to say “here, take my photo”.
        Being from Queensland I’ve not seen any birds like this one before.
        When I saw the ‘Art is Therapy’ magnet with the bird that reminded me of the one in Tassie I had to buy it because to me birds connect to the shamanic part of the brain where art and subconscious messages come from.
        The Bega post with pictures of the bird is linked here –
        I hope you don’t mind that I used a picture of your magnet and cow painting (with links to your blog and art) to illustrate my point.
        If you’re not happy with it I can remove the post, but I hope that you like it, I don’t make a cent out of the blog, it’s just a weird diary of my strange observations in my life of which I try to use pictures to back up what I’m writing about.

7. I love your art work, and I love the birds (I was going to say as you know! but…anyway I have photos of birds all over my fb page)

Do you have some for sale online? xx

8. Kath, I enjoyed this post so much. It made me smile, too, to think of your art hanging on walls all over the world. Keep on following your heart, and you can’t go wrong, creating these wonderful pieces.
    I’m about to share a post about crows, actually – coincidence? The photos are from a distance, though, but now that I know you are looking for crow pics, I’ll try to get some more close up. 🙂

9. Luanne says:

Oh man, I LOVE these! Kath!!! I love your happy stuff, but now I love this darker art!

10. Lovely art and story! “I now paint what comes, I don’t try to think too much on whether it will sell. I just paint what inspires and feeds my soul. . . I’m just following my hearts desire and having so much fun learning along the way.” Sounds like the perfect path. Keep believing…

11. Elizabeth says:

Hi Kath, love your paintings, crows and ravens mean mystery and magic. Perfect together with the full moon. Teens love them. Can’t wait to read the story.

12. paintdigi says:

Good posts, beautiful blog.
    Congratulations.
    Welcome to see my creations:
    paintdigi.com

13. Congratulations, amazing razen, Kath!!! So happy for you, following your dreams. And great advice for others to follow theirs, too. Thank you for sharing that.

Although I love all your art, I must say that your black and white ravens are my favourite. They are dark and very gothic. My favourite is the second from the top on this post, the expression on that bird’s face is just perfect! But they’re all beautiful and you’re very talented.

Making art is not easy. Most of the times you just have to push harder with no or very little encouragement from the outside world. Feedback and sales are some of the best encouragement one can receive, but at the end of the day it’s what you gain personally from your creativity that matters. You say you feel alive when creating your art and that’s one of the most valid and genuine reasons why one should continue creating art. Stick at it Kath. You’re good at this, really good! Don’t doubt yourself.

15. Just discovered your blog. Love the art work! Sure hope you continue to pursue publication!

• Gabe thanks for stopping by, this year I am going to concentrate on finishing illustrations for a picture book that has been three years of learning, then I have so many other wonderful stories in my head and hope to refine my illustrations skills and keep writing them all onto the page and out into the world. Thats the dream but January has been a tad unpredictable and I find myself packing and moving and so the dream will have to wait a few more weeks until I have set up my studio.

16. Judy says:

I have always been a fan of your scratchy birds!! I really love the images in this post!! I am sure your art looks amazing in person. My ostrich does and I can only imagine some of the other things!!

• Awe Thanks Judy, hoping to get some time to catch up on my blog reading today, I noticed I have a couple from you in there.

• Judy says:

Yeah, have been less that active for a bit but getting back to the birds finally this season. Stop over anytime you have time. Good to see you up and running also!!

• Trying to keep up with all the blogs I follow is madness but I do love reading your posts and seeing your amazing art/photography Judy. I still smile knowing you have one of my birds, it means a lot to me.

17. Pingback: Crow in Blue Ink | Patsy's Creative Corner