A Moment of Reflection

Thinking about this year of 2016. I was ready to type a positive farewell.

Then I heard the all-to familiar  song of not one, but many Magpie’s. I will admit at 7.30am  I sat there watching them instead of writing this post. There were eight in total and I think the parents were trying to shed a few siblings that had reached the age to be let loose on the world.

The swooping began and to me it looked like a cruel ritual of diving and pecking at each other. It was over in a matter of minutes before they started singing once more. It left me wondering how far away the young adults go when they leave the nest. I was lucky enough to capture a photo that was worth sketching (below). Two Magpies singing or maybe giving out a war cry of warning. No matter, the song was beautiful and I thanked them for my breakfast music.dscn8810-copy

I guess when I look back on this year, the small moments like this one, I cherished most. It gave me time to breathe and reflect on my day before the madness begins. Yes the simple things, like a glorious sunrise or sunset are the events I try to be present in. Sometimes I won’t get my camera out because I just want to savour the moment, like watching a giant full moon fill the night sky.

I found many moments of joy this year in stretching my abilities in art. My passion for birds grows larger I think. I also enjoyed watching my children spread their own wings and learn to reach high for the best results in karate. Their Dad inspiring them all the way. Love them heaps!

So I say to you before the clock strikes twelve on New Years Eve I hope you remember to collect the Minuscule Moments now and in 2017. Find your happy space by doing the things that you love to do. I will be sitting on a beach for New Years Eve with my husband and kids enjoying fish and chips and the cool of the ocean. I leave you with a wonderful Quote and wish you all A Happy and safe New Year.

“Your success and happiness lies in you. Resolve to keep happy, and your joy and you, shall form an invincible host against difficulties.” Helen Keller

This entry was posted in Inspiration, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

62 Responses to A Moment of Reflection

1. Joan Hall says:

Wish for you a blessed and wonderful year!

2. Val Boyko says:

I love your painting of the magpies Kath! It reminds me of looking back and looking forward at the time of endings and beginnings. May your creativity and spirit continue to unfold this year. I look forward to it 💕

3. Jim McKeever says:

Happy New Year, Kath … it’s wonderful how you can appreciate those moments. It’s an art that is much needed in the U.S. of A. in 2017. Thank you for the beautiful reminder!

4. Bun Karyudo says:

I love the painting! I find it somehow optimistic. You know, I believe according to the old children’s rhyme, eight magpies is for a wish. But if you prefer, I don’t think anybody would mind if you took the “two’s for joy” part and multiplied it four times.

5. Sue Slaght says:

That is such a beautiful quote. I think your advice on embracing the small moments and finding joy in them is so valuable. Your art astounds me as always. Having recently done a paint and wine evening with my friend it only reinforced my challenges with drawing. Bravo to you I say!

That sounds like such a perfect way to spend New Year’s Eve! I hope you enjoyed every minute. I’m sorry I missed this post – we spent New Year’s Eve doing a First Night tradition in one of the towns around here. The town had singers and bands tucked away everywhere – in all the churches, the community hall, schools, the movie theater – and everyone walked around all night while listening to the music. It was freezing cold, but fun. I love the music of the birds too. I’m happy to see they keep inspiring you and your wonderful artwork. And they’re much more fun to listen to than us humans. 🙂 Love and hugs!

7. Cecilia says:

I wish you all the best and that you can always see and find those precious moments. They appear every moment …! Thanks for everything and greetings!

8. Luanne says:

I love these guys! I adore magpies. Did you see my post awhile back with a nonfiction story about a half-pet magpie by a Swedish writer? https://writersite.org/2016/11/28/a-pica-named-tiny/
    Happy 2017, Kath!

9. Jill Kuhn says:

Wow! Your Magpies look like they are a photograph! Fabulous sketch, Kath! 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 I hope 2017 is bringing you much happiness! ❤😍xo