Never too Old to Learn and Evolve

This morning I woke up with a new found energy.
My 5.30am alarm is usually met with a groan, I slide out of bed with a bad case of bed hair and a foggy brain. This happens most mornings. Even if I make it to my yoga mat. I’m usually in sleep-walk mode, bumping into the furniture before finding my purple mat. I huff and try my best to get into the zone. I tell myself to show up and do some yoga moves. What usually happens is I begin to wake up and the yoga takes over. I begin to feel alive and almost human.
But this morning I was awake, even alert and excited to start my day. My reason? I believe it’s because I am feeling a shift in my mindset, a place of great change and belief in myself. This can happen when you cross over certain boundaries. Like challenging yourself with new experiences. The ones that scare you.
My yearly trip to the Bundanon Art Retreat set off a series of new experiences. I enjoyed the workshops like I always do, along with the company of amazingly talented women.
This year we had the opportunity to learn basket weaving. Talk about a fear, it was something I felt sure I would not pick up. But with my experience in crotchet, I told myself it can’t be that hard, maybe there was some hope.
The lesson was so addictive. (I started a wall hanging but did not finish it). I am sourcing my own materials now to learn how to make a basket with the techniques we learned.
When you learn something new, there is a certain feeling. Learning something new wakens the brain. Your mind goes into creative overdrive, you feel alive and switched on. I have often said to my kids I will always be learning no matter how old I get. (they laugh at me) What they don’t realise is it lifts us to a higher level of  awareness. It keeps us in constant motion and we don’t stagnate.
I also started karate last week. Yes at 52 I am the new student. Feeling like the ugly duckling amongst a flock of swans here, but the learning curve is HUGE. The moves are quite beautiful even if they are self-defence weapons. I try to train every day, I can feel a level of fitness awareness here too. Like I need extra cardio work outs to keep up. All in good time.
In this new curve of learning and training I find myself eager to start each day. I wake up early, and go through my day with a positive vibe. I get more things done.
I have been keeping my subscribers up to date on my picture book journey (top right hand corner, subscribe button if you need some motivation). Its looking better than ever. I have learn’t so many skills and my art is evolving as I practice and practice. I often complain about time in those newsletters and how fast it slips by. Its a constant battle to manage all that we want to do in life. The funny thing is the more I learn the more motivated I have become.
I have even been researching printing companies for the picture book. Three years ago I would never dreamed of doing this. I found a company called Balboa Press who set it all up and you can order your book on demand. Perfect for this noob (my kids say this one when I play computer games with them). I am now on the verge of learning all about this self-publishing game. Now that is scary!
When I look back I can see how far I have come. when I look forward I can see many more stories and lessons to learn, as I gather wrinkles and knowledge. All these skills, from yoga to karate even the basket weaving, they all play a part in who I am meant to be.
DSCN8865

My attempt at weaving a wall hanging, did not finish it but enjoyed the workshop.

DSCN8864

Our weaving workshop left us all addicted and wanting to do more.

There is always time to learn something new, I know I usually don’t feel like there is, but there is, you just have to make time. I also know this energy does not last so I will enjoy it while it is here.

I hope you find the time to teach yourself something new, please share with me what you are learning at the moment.

Have a great day!

DSCN8876

Printing workshop after sketching a banksia we had to make a printing plate, my picture did not turn out but I liked this area of the picture. The process is the gift.

DSCN8877

Sketching nature at Bundanon Homestead

This entry was posted in Inspiration and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

69 Responses to Never too Old to Learn and Evolve

1. reocochran says:

Your sketching nature in gray and yellow with white lines really was pretty, Kath. 🙂

2. Rowena says:

Wow, Kath! That retreat looks fantastic and loved the artworks you produced, particularly the red banksia print. Great to hear your book is coming along so well too.
    How did the landscape at Bundanon influence you? Could you get the feel for why it inspired the Boyds? I’d love to go there some time but there’s always so much to get around to.
    Take care and best wishes,
    Rowena

• Its a magical place Rowena but the group of women I go with make it very special, we only see each other once a year but it feels so good when we all get back together and share our lives. The homestead is definitely worth a visit.

3. Val Boyko says:

I love this burst of energy and creativity Kath! One of my favorite quotes is:
    Life at its best is a series of challenges. Take on challenges, discover strengths you never know you had, and bring yourself to life 😁💛🌼

4. Sue Slaght says:

Such positive energy coming from your post. Bravo for you to trying new things, learning and growing. What made you decide to try karate?

• Thanks Sue, I was driving the kids and husband to karate on the nights my husband had done an early shift. I enjoyed watching them and had just finished reading about challenging your brain and doing something you think you can’t do. My hubs and kids have been at me to c
      join. My son struggles to focus so it was just a natural process really to help him and me.

5. misifusa says:

There are moments when I wish for a LOVE button instead of a LIKE on wordpress. This is one of those times…you are so talented and I ADORE that you are learning something new at 52! Congrats to you dear friend! ♥

6. momentum028 says:

After 4 years, I have made it back to the blog world and your page was the first page I visited. Your comments on my posts always encouraged me to keep going. You are an inspiration. Living each day as you should. Keep going!!!

7. Zambian Lady says:

It’s interesting that you learning basket weaving. I have never heard of anyone doing that (except back home where people do it for a living). Do you intend to be weaving baskets for friends or to be selling them?

• The basket weaving is quite a popular course over here, especially if you can source natural reeds etc and dry them out. The lady that taught the class has a good understanding of what plants to grow in her garden that make great materials for basket weaving. But we just started with raffia. We all enjoyed the peace and calm you get whilst weaving and the chatter and laughter that came with it. I don’t think I will ever get good enough to sell them but yes for family and friends, they take so long to make. I bet if you googled it you would find a weaving group near by. It would be interesting to see.

8. Collect Life says:

9. arsenios says:

Love this post👍 I agree, it’s never too late to do something that makes you come alive😀 It’s interesting that you learning basket weaving.

10. RMW says:

I am older than you but still learning new things… to stop learning would be to die… keeping the old brain busy and challenging myself is most important.